Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all, this will be my first Colorado build! The truck is a 2005 Colorado rcsb "ABC auto" I already have the stock 4 and trans pulled out. My plans are to drop a 2002 5.3 with a carb conversion. I have done several ls swaps, always carb'd and always old school. Im 100% sure I can get the truck running, my trouble's are the gauges... is there a way to "tap into" the stock wiring harness for all of my stock gauges to work? Am I asking to much thinking that I can find the stock temp sensor plug on the colorado, cut the end off and splice on one for the 5.3? I know the trans sends the signal to the speedometer, im hoping to just hook up a 4l60, plug it in to the factory harness, and run an aftermarket throttle position sensor for the carb. Alittle more about the truck, its just bare bones, roll up windows, manual seats, no passlock system, not even a cd player! ANY help or thoughts on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated!! Even if its for me to turn and run lol at least i'll know. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or would it be easier to just adapt the stock Colorado sending units in the 5.3, so they will just plug in?

·
CALI BOSS
6,309 Posts
Adapting the stock sending units and sensors to your new engine may be easier. You might still need to program the PCM and possibly the BCM. The cluster in the truck is controlled by the BCM from the into it receives from the PCM and delivered through databus signals

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using the crappy AutoGuide.com free app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will start by just trying to adapt the obvious. I might accidently put all the stock wiring harness and computer back on the Colorado, power it up and only plug up or tie in what I need and leave everything else unplugged... figure the check engine light will be on but im ok with that as long as all my gauges work! The only things I can think of that WOULDNT be plugged in, using the carb'd 5.3 with msd box set-up that im wanting to do, would be all the fuel injection connections minus the throttle position sensor connection which id have to tie into for the trans. In my head "clouded with smoke" if I hook the computer and wiring harness back up, anything plugged in should work... ANY THOUGHTS?

·
CALI BOSS
6,309 Posts
The throttle is electronic drive-by-wire. Not sure if it's just the throttle position sensor or if there's more there. Hit up the tuners here and cpwire. CPwire makes harness adapters and may know what you can get away with leaving unplugged.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using the crappy AutoGuide.com free app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I am aware of the gas pedal, I plan to just swap it out with a drive by cable pedal. Thanks for the heads up though! I call CP a few days ago, they didn't have any information for me on the carb'd side of it. Said they have never had any dealings with a carb set-up and wouldn't be sure what I would need. Looks like I might have to learn from experience on this one... make it easier on the next guy

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Good luck with your project!!! Looks like you got a chore ahead of you !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats a definite! But that's all part of it right? Do WHAT you want, HOW you want it done... and when the sparks stop flying and the dust settles you have a ONE OF A KIND ride that is all YOU!! Nothing better than the occasional "man where did u buy that ride at!?" lol BUILT, not bought bubba!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a small update... I got up with a member "04colyZQ8" dude had an answer for every question I asked and even answered a few that I didn't have time to ask yet. As far as the wiring goes, he is the man to talk to. Seems to really know his stuff!! Any wiring or computer tuning I need will be done through this member! "cheaper than CP too" I've only been a member a short while but I have to say that EVERY person I have talked to on this website as a whole, have been very generous with their time and their knowledge!! Thanks a lot to everyone here for your help

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
Might be more cost effective to use a stand along efi setup instead of the carb. That how I did mine. The OEM computer is still there to run the gauges and trans and such.

The problem is getting the pcm to see a spinning engine. The tach out of the msd I'll probably not be enough. Its going to want to decode the reluctor wheel.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
check out the Chevy Hi Performance and Super Chevy magazine sites
they do a lot of EFI to Carb swaps when they put LS engines in old muscle cars

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I have done the old school swaps. 72 chevy, 84 chevy, 92 caprice, 87 s10... all carb conversions... all the SAME intake and msd box lol I don't know how im able to always keep it but it works out that way everytime! On the tach I talked to a member on here that I mentioned earlier, he says just use the stock sensor from the colorado and build a little bracket to point the sensor at the crank pully! I guess it just reads engine speed. im pretty sure ive got a plan for all the gauges to work out like I want, mite have a check engine light but with a carb ALL the pcm will be actually running is the throttle position sensor, the transmission, and the gauges. I will be able to crank and run the motor with just a hot wire using the msd set-up. The up side to this conversion is u don't need a computer or a tune, you can go as big as you want with a cam, no o2 sensors to go out, no knock sensors to go out, no computer HOLDING the engine back! It is much more cost effective to build horsepower AFTER the carb conversion. I have done a little looking on the efi side of things, and $1000 wiring harness for EVERYTHING to work is WAY out of my price range, not counting the tune id need. Just in my opinion though, AND I have the luxury of living in the boondocks where they say "hit the horn, blinkers, lights, brakes, wipers..... 12.50" lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts