Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of exciting getting my truck ready for a tune. Supermodulation, aka James, will be in CT mid April and I'm on his list of todo's. I've heard all good about the work he does.
Though my truck isn't due for all the fluids before he gets here, I hope to have them all done by then anyways when the Package deal, PTB, SuperSparkz and a street tune gets added.

K&N CAI is supposed to arrive this week. Always wanted one, never ordered it. Did now.
Tires are always at 32 psi..... will check those too. Compressor in the garage makes it easy.
New AC Delco Iridium's are going in when the CAI arrives.
Upper intake has been Seafoamed recently, but what the heck, I'll do it again anyways.
Most often I've been running 87 octane. Todays fill up of 18 gallons was at 89 octane. Will stray with it or higher going forward.
Battery terminals clean and tight as always, but will double check before James does his magic.
Still waiting for some decent weather to get my new radio and interface installed. Speakers are done. When time permits it's 15-20 degrees out. When it's 40-50 degrees out, the grand kids are over. May just have to break down and throw my neighbor out of his garage and bring a heater over there.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
you can stay with the 89 octane, no need to waste money and go higher. After my truck was tuned, I got plenty of power out of the 89. James tuned my Trailblazer and that is currently running 89 as well.

And I'll be at the CT meet as well.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I would think you will be in good hands !!! Good luck with your tune !!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ya 89 octane FTW!! My truck is so much better on 89 and a tune from James! You won't be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can stay with the 89 octane, no need to waste money and go higher. After my truck was tuned, I got plenty of power out of the 89. James tuned my Trailblazer and that is currently running 89 as well.

And I'll be at the CT meet as well.

That's good news on the 89 octane. See you in April.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya 89 octane FTW!! My truck is so much better on 89 and a tune from James! You won't be disappointed!

My truck is a daily driver too so economy is important..... but, every once in a while some gitty up is nice.
Looks like some good weather coming up finally this weekend. Going to go out and run some scan gauge benchmarks. Highway mpg, stop and go 30 mile round trip to daughters house, 0-60 full throttle time (not expecting a rocket ship, just a benchmark), etc.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
My truck is a daily driver too so economy is important..... but, every once in a while some gitty up is nice.

Looks like some good weather coming up finally this weekend. Going to go out and run some scan gauge benchmarks. Highway mpg, stop and go 30 mile round trip to daughters house, 0-60 full throttle time (not expecting a rocket ship, just a benchmark), etc.

I like it! Glad to see you doing your home work and getting prepared.

Sent from SuperModulation AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Generally assumed that a p0171 is a vacuum problem. Have been chasing that for a couple of weeks so far. Won't both you all with that discussion.
The code hadn't come back as of this am so this afternoon, I took it for longer, maybe 100 miles, highway drive. Sure enough, it can back. Stopped for coffee in Hartford area and checked the scanner while there .... an there it was. Has a buddy along with it this time. P0108. MAP high voltage.
I think, it's time to pull the K&N and go back to the Resonator box for a while. Maybe then I'll get some sleep.
While I was out there dickering around with meters, propane, carb cleaner, etc. yesterday, I had the truck off the ground and notice some play in the right front hub bearing. Didn't know the bearing and hub came as a unit. Over $200 and 3 hours later I put the wheel back on. whew. And all this because I wanted to make this 173K miles truck better.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
An Update: Looks like some very good progress has been:
After taking into consideration the suggestions for my Lean Bank 1 of many here, I went through a ton of things to get ready for the tune that was applied by James today.
P0171 code, saying with crossed fingers, looks like it is gone.
Some of the Prep Work over the last few weeks before the tune consists of: Replaced Fuel Filter, K&N CAI installed, pulled and reseated all vacuum connections, gauge checked each connection, fuel pressure gauged at the rail, 59 psi, though it wasn't real dirty, cleaned top end externals of the engine to look for vacuum leaks around intake, head, valve cover, etc. changed many of the fluids over the last month or so, engine Oil, Front & Rear Diff, Transmission & Transfer case.
Driving back from OrangeZ71's house tonight, ScanGauge indications are very positive, and no Pending or CEL Codes. I did not baby it on the way home tonight. If it was going to complain, I wanted to hear it loud and clear.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought it was time to put down some of my observations post Supermod Tune. In Short, WOW. The work was done at a meet at Orange71's house. I was getting a Tune, PTB & SuperSparks.
Starting on 4/19 after James made his first adjustments to my truck, he 'come on, lets go for a ride'...... I was impressed. I knew I was going to spend some money on gasoline after we got up on the main road. Punched it and it took off. Had it above 60 in no time. Then slowed down made a few turns here and there, back to the house and some more adjustments were made. Pulls like a bull heading to the barn. In the meantime, one of the "Crazy Canadians", Kurt, pulled my intake out of the way, removed my TB and had the PTB installed before I coukd get through the cup of coffee. Then the coils were off and Supersparks installed and James and I went for another ride.
After that Day.....
From the scan gauge, Performance improved by better than 1.5 seconds 0 to 60mph over the before. RPM limiter is more open to full throttle acceleration.
This past weekend, I made a trip from CT to VA, 358m each way.
Big thing: MPG was the best I have ever gotten. I hit Friday NYV rush hour, took 4+ hours to go 95 miles to Newark Airport. Then through Baltimore and Washington DC traffic, stop and go a good portion of those cities. Filled the tank when I got there, 15.1 gallons for 23.7 mpg. Did the math on paper. Excellent. Long trips before tune, I would get 22-23 mpg and hardly ever went over 55. Over the weekend went through another 3/4 tank mostly city type and got 17.3. Trip home, not sure how but I went 8 miles father and got 23.9 mpg, mostly at 65mph.
Around town before the trip and since, I'm getting 16-18 mpg vs the 13-15 I was getting pre tune.
James installed what he called a street tune, or 50/50. Not sure which he called it. At 2400rpm it goes rich and pulls like that bull. With the CAI and when I get a cat back exhaust, I'll be waking up the neighborhood.

You Rock James.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts