Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, looking into an AAL kit here, i can get so lost when it comes to suspension. What would be the difference between "long" leafs and "short" leafs? Are both compatible? Will any leafs that are the same width as those on our trucks work?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'm not too sure what you're trying to ask. I mean I do, but I don't understand why. Are you finding AAL's in different length options? And what is the 'kit' you are referring to? I haven't shopped for the product but I don't recall reading having options for short or long.

Leaf springs need to be different lengths in order to maintain the center radius.
I believe the shot leaf takes the first hit during suspension travel and the longer leafs start doing their job the further into travel you go.

Usually you get a new leaf and centering bolt. I think that's it. I guess you could call that a kit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Interesting. Like I said -I've never shopped for them so I wasn't sure.

I can only assume they offer a different spring rate.

I think long springs are more 'springy' and short stuff would be more harsh. Just a theory in my own mind, no proof at all this is how it would work. Sorry.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
You want part #13120 for those pro comp AALs fyi.

CST and Ruff Country also have 2" ones for 355s.

@tahitiansoul used a long aal from rancho but im not sure the part #.

I had a spring shop add a custom bent leaf to the middle of my packs that netted me 1.75"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
a longer leaf will ride softer, a shorter leaf will ride stiffer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts