Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2004 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 3.5L back in December 2010. The seller indicated that the ABS light was on and was because he cut a wire by accident changing the brakes. He was willing to replace the sensor on the front right side. He emailed me saying he replaced the sensor and we setup the meeting for the next day to transfer ownership. When I got there he said he replaced the sensor but the ABS light came back on that day and took it up to the local garage where he had it put on the reader. The mechanic indicated that the code showed the front left wheel bearing was starting to go causing an air gap. I still purchased the truck knowing my brother in law was quite mechanical.

The first chance we had we replaced the front left wheel hub. We had trouble freeing the wheel hub from the spindle and had to use a hub puller. We believe this damaged the ABS sensor as it broke a piece off the outside of the sensor. We put everything back together and took for a test drive and sure enough the abs light came back on again. Assuming we did indeed damage the sensor we order another one. In the meantime waiting for the part, not only would the ABS light come on but now the brake warning light would come on. It only came on (the exact same time the ABS light would come on) when the truck sat over night or for long periods of time.

We finally got the new abs sensor and replaced the front left abs sensor. This time it went smoothly and we made sure it was fit flush with the hub. Put everything back together and took it for a drive. The ABS light came on again, and the brake light still comes on from time to time (usually first thing in the morning, but sometimes not). At this point we're stumped and decided on ordering a code reader that can do ABS too. I ended up picking up an Actron CP9580 which works very well. I put the reader on the truck and it picked up 4 codes (C0035, C0040, C0221, and a Uxxxxx which I can't remember). I cleared the codes not knowing which ones were worth worrying about and figured they would trip again after driving. I took it for a drive and the ABS came on. Checked the codes and C0040 displayed. This was the front right abs speed sensor. I checked the codes again the next night knowing the brake light would come on in the moring. Now 2 codes are being displayed (C0040 and C0221). All point to the front right side. It would be a couple of weeks before I could have a chance to look at the truck.

Today was my chance to look at the truck and I put it on the code reader just before taking things apart. This time 3 codes displayed C0035 (Front left abs speed sensor), C0040 (front right abs speed sensor), and C0221 (front right abs channel in release too long). I'm not sure why the left side showed up but I think I read somewhere that if one side sensor is bad it could trip the code on the other side as well since the speeds are not indicating the same. Maybe someone could respond to this.

After taking the front right side apart, I took the sensor off the hub and notice a lot of gunk in the sensor and on the hub. I cleaned it all off and this is when I noticed to back of the wheel hub was different than the new one I put on the left side. The new one had (what appears to be) a magnetic ring on the back of the hub that the sensor would sit against. The one on the right side appears to have grooved teeth (I assume original). One of the grooved teeth appeared to be pushed in deeper than the rest, I don't know if this is normal or not. If not could this be the cause of my ABS fault? Any advice would be appreciated on this.
I put everything back together and took it for a drive and the ABS and brake light are still coming on, and the 2 codes are being displayed (C0040 and C0221), still the right side. I'm thinking that bent tooth is the problem which means replacing the hub right?
I plan on ordering a new hub and will probably get a new sensor too since I'm taking everything apart again. One question I do have does a new ABS sensor work with an original wheel hub (the grooved teeth kind)??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings, I would like to ask how this worked out for you for I am having the same problems on my 06 Colorado 4x4. Every time I have the codes read they charge me 20$. It's slowly draining me dry. I want to do the repairs myself but I am afraid I will face the same problems you are. I always do my own work if at all possible. I trust myself more than most places around my home town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings, I would like to ask how this worked out for you for I am having the same problems on my 06 Colorado 4x4. Every time I have the codes read they charge me 20$. It's slowly draining me dry. I want to do the repairs myself but I am afraid I will face the same problems you are. I always do my own work if at all possible. I trust myself more than most places around my home town.
I ended up replacing the passenger front wheel hub and abs sensor and everything worked out perfectly. Haven't had an ABS Fault or Brake warning light since *knock on wood*. I never did anything mechanical before now, so I'll be the first to say this is not hard project to take on. I finished replacing the hub and abs sensor on the passenger side and cleaned the brake pads and rotor on the driver side in under an hour. Albeit, this was my 4th time taking it apart in a 2 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply, That encourages me a lot for I am about ready to plunge into this repair.
Where did you buy your code reader? and Your repair parts that you used? Was there any special tools involved? Mine is an 06, did your Hub and sensor come together or separate?
I have been told there are two types. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, That encourages me a lot for I am about ready to plunge into this repair.
Where did you buy your code reader? and Your repair parts that you used? Was there any special tools involved? Mine is an 06, did your Hub and sensor come together or separate?
I have been told there are two types. Thanks for your help..
I got the code reader on ebay. So far well worth the money. I got the repair parts from a local parts store called Shur-Fit. The hub and sensor came separate. The only special tool I had to buy was a 36mm deep socket axle bolt as I didn't have one to fit it. You will probably need a swivel adapter for sockets too as the hub has 4 bolts and the bottom is hard to get at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm guessing my 05 Canyon has the exact same problem.My ABS light comes on then goes off when restarted and now today my brake warning light came on once then went off the next time I restarted it and hasn't come on again so far after running another 100 miles and numerous starts and stops.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the same issue, except I changed my brakes and rotors on my z85. Everything was fine when I did my drivers side. Once we did the passenger side it started throwing throwing abs fault with every other start with a brake code. I'm assuming my abs sensor is messes up as my wheel bearing is not making noise. This post has been helpful as I know what to tell the mechanic when I bring it in ( already froze my ass off for two days) I'm also not sure if these sensors news to be lined up or not, which also could be an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
facing the same thing i had to take my fuse out the other day to stop it. those hubs are pricey! you guys find any good deals? and did your pedal ever pulsate as if you were on ice? mine would do that every time I would break until it tripped the code

·
Registered
174 Posts
i'v never really had mine pulse, im gonna order the hubs prior to taking it to a mechanic... i basically give up. and i know the damage from the mechanics gonna hurt. but i learned a lesson, im never touching my rotors again.

i found cheap ones on drivewire, 130ish a side... im not sure which ones i need? they all appear to be the same? for 2wd? im lost.

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?Ntt=Wheel+Hub&=&N=0&uts=true&t_event=true#

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks allot for that site. Advanced auto was trying to get me for 350. I know the 4wd has the splines for the cv axle to drive the wheel. but do not think the 2wd will have anything in there. I bet thats the only difference. Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
facing the same thing i had to take my fuse out the other day to stop it. those hubs are pricey! you guys find any good deals? and did your pedal ever pulsate as if you were on ice? mine would do that every time I would break until it tripped the code
Yes my brake pedal would pulsate as soon as you pressed them until the ABS Fault occured.

Most places I called wanted over 400-500 for a wheel hub (that's in NB, Canada). So to get them for 220 was a good deal in my eyes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts