Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Colorado LS, Std.cab, two-wheel drive, about 114,000 miles.
I need some schooling...last oil change and swapping Summer tires for rear Winter tires, the guys told me that my front wheel bearings had some play and need replacing. Now the ABS system is giving me a fault warning.

Questions: Is it likely that the ABS fault is caused by play in the wheel bearings? If not, does an ABS fault indicate that my brake pads are worn and need to be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
3,612 Posts
Yes it is very likely that a bad hub(wheel bearing) is causing the abs light... a mechanic with a scan tool that reads abs codes can verify what code it is

·
Registered
216 Posts
Most likely a bad bearing will cause an ABS code but it could also be from rust and dirt making the sensor fail.Get it scanned first before you make repairs to make sure it's only the bearings and not also the ABS module gone bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wheel hubs are very easy to replace! I've found them on ebay for just over $100, for both. I can't comment on the quality of them though. My abs light has been on for over a year now and I'm pretty confident that wheel bearing is now bad enough for me to feel it as I'm driving. Front left is the usual one to go and thats what my code was for. Once you remove the tire, 2 or 4 bolts on the brake caliper and the rotor it's 3 bolts I think, maybe 4 that hold the hub assembly on. Unless you have 4WD then you have an axle nut too. All can be done with a pretty basic set of sockets. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
In my experience, a hub has got to be in pretty bad shape to make the ABS system have issues. I would usually hear or feel the bearing going bad long before the ABS light came on. Jack up the front wheel that you think has the issue and grab the tire at top and bottom and see if there's "play" wiggling the tire at top and bottom.
Best bet, as mentioned by others is to take it to an auto parts store an have them scan for ABS codes. Some stores may not have a tool for scanning for those codes though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was getting the ABS light and one day my brakes went out completely because of that (fun). I needed to replace both front hubs anyway and the new sensors fixed the codes. Mind you I only got codes after it rained and water got in there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mines currently parked due to the abs issue. Fortunately, I have my xterra to drive in the meantime. I don't want to replace my hubs if I don't have to, but I don't have the tools to read abs codes. Sadly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mines currently parked due to the abs issue. Fortunately, I have my xterra to drive in the meantime. I don't want to replace my hubs if I don't have to, but I don't have the tools to read abs codes. Sadly.
If your brake icon , on the cluster, isn't red you can still drive the truck. It will however, not have anti-lock capabilities. Get that code read asap.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I know, but I'm not a fan of the way they feel. Occasionally, they feel soft and well.....not there. There's no way I'm driving around in that thing with my 3yo right now. So, it's just easier to park it until I get it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts