Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Batman
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guy, I got a question

I'm thinking about cleaning up my battery situation a bit. Currently I'm just tapping into the battery for all my accessories (leds, XM unit, bla bla bla) with ring terminals and inline fuses, thru the firewall and up under the dash. Totally makes the battery look like crap with all those random wires comes off it and running into the cab. I'd post pics of the current setup, but I'm ashamed :hide: it's like 5 wires and each has their own inline fuse holder.

I would like to maybe just run 1 good size wire from the battery and into the cab into a fuse box kinda thing that i can have individual fuses for each accessory. Would this be thing like I am thinking about? Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems ST Blade 6 Independent Circuit Fuse Block with Cover: Sports & Outdoors

(holy huge pic)

looks like it has 6 screws on each side of the fuse tho, I would like something where it could only be 1 IN power and the box splits it into 6 or so OUT terminals. So maybe that's not the one I want, IDK.

I assume they will all still have to be grounded individually, but I would like to get the power situation covered atleast.

really not sure what I'm needing, just want to get rid of the rat's nest thing I have going on now.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
this is so cool. mini fuse box

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I would like to maybe just run 1 good size wire from the battery and into the cab into a fuse box kinda thing that i can have individual fuses for each accessory....
Then what will protect the wire from the battery to your new fuse block?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jump on ebay, they have a good variety of 1 power in and 4-12 acc out. Im lookin into gettin one of them as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Type in 12v fuse block

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
:shrug: that's why I'm in here asking questions

so there needs to be a fuse between the battery and the little fuse box thing?

I don't know much, but I do know when to ask for help/advice before I make a mistake
Fuses are there to protect against fault current (as from a "short-circuit") to prevent a fire.
If you run wire from the battery off into the vehicle, that circuit needs a fuse there at the battery.

·
the guy that always on
3,721 Posts
This. Your main will still need a fuse

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I currently have three wires running off my fuse box mega fuse all fused and ran into the cab. I loomed the wires and ran them with the factory harnesses and you can't point out the ones I added.

The fuse box thing Is a cool idea tho for sure I was just saying that the wires could be cleaned up to look better easily

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
A busbar is a place to make a common connection, usually for power distribution... as in "one supply (wire) in, connection to many (wires) out".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar

Think of a piece of flat copper strip with threaded holes for screws to attach wires (with ring-terminals).
Now mount that flat strip of copper on an insulated base (unless it's for ground connections, then the insulated bases isn't needed).

·
Batman
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A busbar is a place to make a common connection, usually for power distribution... as in "one supply (wire) in, connection to many (wires) out".

Busbar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ok, so that's not what I want, since I would still need to fuse them again. So if I got the second link then it would do the same thing and more. Be 1 IN, fuses, then 6 OUT. Right? :wtf2:

electrical really isn't my thing. that's why it's all simplest way possible now.
thanks for helping me thru

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
...So if I got the second link then it would do the same thing and more. Be 1 IN, fuses, then 6 OUT. Right? :wtf2:

electrical really isn't my thing. that's why it's all simplest way possible now.
thanks for helping me thru
For what you're describing, yes.
(if you mount it away from the battery though, like under the dash. you'll still need to fuse the line from the battery to protect from there to your new fuse-block)

Blue Sea makes really good stuff. I'm surprised this thing is so cheap. Good find!
Here's the product page for that item:

**LINK**ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Cover - Blue Sea Systems

In that diagram they show a switch. You can ignore that for your purposes, unless you want to have the equipment you wire to the fuses to be switched.
Or a relay could be used for the same purpose. But no, you don't need a relay unless you need to switch the whole thing ON/OFF.

·
Batman
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright, good deal

so for the fuse from the battery, can I use the one from my old amp or just one of the little inline fuse holders I already have? and what size fuse for that? going to the box, does it need to be bigger than the 10s or 15s that would be in the box?

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Blue Sea Systems makes some quality components. You can also get them with a built in ground bar so you have positive and ground going to the box and them your accessories to the box. I have two of those in my truck, one in the cab the second in the bed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
2,242 Posts
I bought a similar one by Blue Sea which has a ground bar built in. The positive that goes to the battery has a bar to connect all the circuits before the fuses go in. That can be removed to run each circuit individually. The one I got takes glass fuses, which I got only because it's what they had at the boat store without having to wait.

This is before I got the wiring mounted. I have an 04 and that area is empty. I used a piece of flatbar that I bent and bolted to the metal crossbar in there.

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Wheel

EDIT - Product URL: ST Glass 6 Circuit Fuse Block with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

·
Batman
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Blue Sea Systems makes some quality components. You can also get them with a built in ground bar so you have positive and ground going to the box and them your accessories to the box. I have two of those in my truck, one in the cab the second in the bed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
very interesting
that would clean up the grounds as well

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover: Sports & Outdoors

is this it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.