Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets preface by saying that Al Gore would not be happy with the course of events today.

Basically I wasn't thinking and while replacing a leaking radiator I loosened a refrigerant line where it connect to the condenser.

It started hissing refrigerant at me, neon yellow, etc...

I wasnt wearing goggles and by the time I ran to get them on and retighten the fitting, I had lost considerable refrigerant.

I found a youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lglPJuBXVeE which is showing how to recharge an AC unit, looks pretty doable

So, not knowing how much by weight I let out, how do I go about getting the correct capacity back into the system?

I plan on getting a loaner manifold gauge set from the autopart store

·
Registered
255 Posts
its r134a its fine still not supposed to open air release but its relatively harmless to environment. now to recharge it should be at around 50-60 psi on a r134a gauge. there's plenty of recharge cans with gauges on them. they aren't perfect but get the job done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks for the reply.

Do I have this right: Connect R134 can with gauge on it to low side, unscrew valve on can and fill to maybe 55 psi?

Do I do this with the car off or on? Does it matter that its winter in FL and the afternoon high will be 55deg ambient temp?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
might as well go get an ac service done. have htem pull all the freon out and add new. if you havent had yours serviced in some time, it will actually help, and your ac will be colder in the summer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
might as well go get an ac service done. have htem pull all the freon out and add new. if you havent had yours serviced in some time, it will actually help, and your ac will be colder in the summer.

Will do once summer heats up. I've got the can with a gauge on top and will top it off in a bit here. Come April, I plan on sending it in for a recover/flush/recharge

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I just have to step in here. First, I have 23 years experience in the heating, air conditioning and refrigeration industry. I used to be a commercial refrigeration service technician and am currently a technical service advisor for the world's largest heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment manufacturer. If your system has lost refrigerant due to a leak (self inflicted or otherwise) then yes, you need the refrigerant either replaced or topped off. In this case, if you still have positive pressure, you should be ok topping it off with one of the cans of R134a you can buy with the attached gauge. However, if you lost all of the refrigerant, there is the real possibility that moisture has gotten into the system and moisture is the deadly enemy of the compressor. If that is the case, you need to have a professional pull a proper vacuum on the system to remove the moisture before recharging the system.

For those who have a properly functioning system with no leaks, you NEVER have to have the refrigerant changed unless moisture gets in the system or you have some kind of component failure. Any service company who tells you otherwise is trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
For those who have a properly functioning system with no leaks, you NEVER have to have the refrigerant changed.
Which is why I said if you haven’t had your ac serviced in some time, as in probably the life of the vehicle, you might as well take it the shop to do it right. not sure where you guys are, but in Arizona, ac systems need recharged every 4-5 years or so, even if it’s just a bit to be topped off.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Location has nothing to do with it. If your system needs to be topped off, even if it is only every few years, it has a leak. However, if the leak is that small, it is probably not worth the effort to find and repair it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts