Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking about actually making my cowl induction usefull by making an intake. If you dont already know how a cowl induction actually works, the windshield works as kind of a wind deflector into the cowl. Basically when your driving its pushes air into the cowl (which are for really carbed cars) where the carb and air intake are and it forces it into the air filter at speed. Its a lot like a reverse ram air. Well the cowl does nothing for our trucks but look cool and apparently fog windshields up on some people. I was thinking of making an intake that routed right to the back of the engine bay in front of the cowl opening. I think it would work pretty well. If you followed 60s and
70s muscle cars then you'll know what im talking about. What do you guys think?

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Its a good idea, but wouldnt the filter get wet being it the back with a cowl hood?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a good idea, but wouldnt the filter get wet being it the back with a cowl hood?
its possible. Im sure i could come up with something to prevent that. Plus its not going to be right up in the vent anyways so unless im getting some wicked ass backwards rain then it shouldnt. I doing measurements right now and i really dont have much room to work with.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its just an idea right now but im looking at all the angles to see if its possible. I have all kinds of stuff from my old vette that i might use.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
just put a big filter where the resonator box is and shove the maf between the two. then fab something out of metal to feed the air down into the filter.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Just my $.02 if your going to go that far for that extra 1-2hp just route some garden hoses like the others from the front. Seems like a waste of r&d time...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
maybe, but im not really going for a whole bunch of power im going for more of the unique side of things. this was really more of an idea i had. Dont really think it will get done.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Stick with the intake, just force the air to it from the hood. That might be easier then trying to get a filter in such a small space.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've contemplated this...and contemplated this...and cut my fucking hood out because I hated the cheesy plastic thing it came with...

And I've yet to find an idea that will work. :lol:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Doesn't someone make a ram air style hood that is functional with the stock location of the intake??? It seems to me that all that would be required is to fab something up on the underside of the hood to force air over in that direction...:shrug:... just my 0.02.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably...but there's so little room in there...

:shrug:

I don't see how it's going to be any better than running a snorkel, honestly.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
What about the snorkel that goes from the box to the bumper (I think its Volant) maybe that piece could be moded to work, or any flat tube from the junk yard.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Dunno if this will help anyone but the keystone hood (the one i've got) has "functional" ram air. The only thing about it with your style hood mc is the keystone scoops are a lot further forward. I'll let the pics explain for me...

Front scoops:

Underhood shot:

Duct shot (sits right about intake filter with K&N intake) :

Different angle of underside:

As you can see the ducting is a mix of over the hood and under the hood. It uses the front scoops about halfway back and that area as well under the hood is buldged out and the "force" of moving air is supposidly pushing air to the intake (NOT FORCING IT IN, JUST PUSHING IT TO THE FILTERS LOCATION :) )

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
MC I like a lot of others thought making that hood functional was possible... but I gave up and sold it for this. The guy who bought mine thought he could do it as well and i'm pretty sure he's still got the plastic insert installed :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts