Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, been considering buying some helper springs.

I need some help from some of you guys on here that already have them.
What I need from you guys/gals:
1. brand
2. weight capacity
3. a picture of it installed (to compare with mine)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is mine, as it sits. Notice how flat they are.
I pull trailers pretty often, so I also am looking for a little extra in weight capacity

edit: I am totally not against alternative suggestions either (i.e. new leafs, etc.)

Btw, here is a site I was looking at to get them: 2004 - 2012 Chevrolet Colorado / GMC Canyon Add a Leaf Spring

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Re: Helper Springs...advice

Just to clarify, helper springs are not lift springs.
Helper springs only come in to play when the vehicle reaches a certain travel. It could be helpful for your trailer towing but will not change ride or increase height while unloaded.

If you actually wish to lift you need to look into an AAL (Add a Leaf).
Air bags might be an option for you to consider too.

And your springs look pretty normal.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts

AAL's are good. but still sag under weight. if you can aford it,i'd go with helper bags. they are adjustable, so you can bring you truck back to level after the load isloaded

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just to clarify, helper springs are not lift springs.
Helper springs only come in to play when the vehicle reaches a certain travel. It could be helpful for your trailer towing but will not change ride or increase height while unloaded.

If you actually wish to lift you need to look into an AAL (Add a Leaf).
Air bags might be an option for you to consider too.

And your springs look pretty normal.
Sorry, to clarify, I really meant to say add a leaf. I've had air bags in the past (98 s10), and loved them.

For right now I'd really like an add a leaf, so I can actually pull the boat. When I hook up the rear sags so bad I can't get the boat jack off the ground. On that link I posted there was different weight ratings you could get from 500-1000 pounds of additional weight capacity.
@isomswim do you know where the op of that how to got his aal? He provided no links to what he actually bought.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Im running pro comp AAL 13120's they gave me about 2" of lift and it doesnt sag near as much when i haul wood, for under 40 bucks and a straight forward install, im very pleased

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Im running pro comp AAL 13120's they gave me about 2" of lift and it doesnt sag near as much when i haul wood, for under 40 bucks and a straight forward install, im very pleased
Thanks! I'll look into those!

·
Registered
18 Posts

Got started I my install yesterday. Few things I've learned so far. Much easier to install with the leafs off and recommend 8" clamps. Also don't skimp on the ubolts, I had some cheap ones from AutoZone that threaded terribly and had to buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

Might I suggest changing the name of your thread so it matches the work you are doing. It's misleading asking for help spring suggestions when you aren't using helper springs.

In the event of a search, this will return inaccurate results.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Might I suggest changing the name of your thread so it matches the work you are doing. It's misleading asking for help spring suggestions when you aren't using helper springs.

In the event of a search, this will return inaccurate results.
Changed the thread title, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Got started I my install yesterday. Few things I've learned so far. Much easier to install with the leafs off and recommend 8" clamps. Also don't skimp on the ubolts, I had some cheap ones from AutoZone that threaded terribly and had to buy new ones.
Did you try the method in the How To first?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ordered this morning, MIGHT have to wait a little while before I get to install them though.

Woke up to this, this morning.
WP_20141110_08_27_05_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Go get some 1/2 ton k5 or k10 springs and be done with it.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go get some 1/2 ton k5 or k10 springs and be done with it.
Direct swap for our trucks?

I have to go to the junkyard tomorrow anyways for parts for another project.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Yep. Gives you around 2" of lift. And I'd say rated better than our leafs with an AAL.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. Gives you around 2" of lift. And I'd say rated better than our leafs with an AAL.
I'll have to remember that, and buy a set this summer. Thanks @gway

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I think I have 4. But I can't confirm or deny that lol

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here they are! next time I am in Pierre these babies are getting put on.
WP_20141113_11_10_07_Pro.jpg WP_20141113_11_10_20_Pro.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts