Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to add a 12V outlet for my GPS so I don't have to continue to pull it out of the factory outlets that are constantly on. I don't really want to do the RAP conversion because I really want to have access to the two that are there for the things that we need to plug in that are extra.

So my question is, when I pull out the factory radio, is there a switched wire to turn the radio on and off there and if so what would be the color? I am guessing it is the red wire, but wanted to make sure before I take it apart to wire it in.

Thanks 355 Nation!!

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
There is a 12 volt wire to the radio, but it isn't switched. The BCM turns the radio on/off using the Serial Data Bus. I don't see a red wire on the radio schematics.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Posted by @BigR in the thread "rear view camera" - "You are going to have to remove the head unit to get behind the unit. It plugs in in the rear. the power is the Violet/white wire and then a rca video plug.

For the Nav (Garmin) be sure and use the red ignition wire not the yellow power wire or it wont turn off with the ignition as the yellow wire is hot all the time. I have a Pioneer Hu and my GPS is Pioneer too so it gets its power from the HU and it displays on the screen. "

This was in response to my mentioning that I planned to install a Garmin powered mount while in the dash to install a rear view camera. (pic in my photo gallery of my powered mount). I wired it just like he recommended and it works perfectly.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts