Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a bit of a problem with my colorado and I wanted to see if I could get some advice. I love my truck..it's my first vehicle and I got a really good deal on it. The only downside are the wheels and tires. They are simply too big for the truck and I'm afraid that the problems are only going to get worse. I've already had to replace the tie rods and bearings. The shop claims that if I don't lose the big rims that I will probably have to replace them again in the future. I really don't want to go back to the stock look.

The wheels came with the truck so I'm not sure what any other size or finish would look on it. I personally like black rims but I'm not sure how that would look on the silver birch metallic paint. I've included 2 pictures of the truck. The tires are 275/45/R20 and the wheels are 20" chrome. I've owned the truck for about 4 years now. It's a 2006 2WD with 98k miles.

Any advice? Will those wheels/tires really destroy the truck?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
I don't see why they would cause any serious damage unless you aren't taking care of the truck itself or if you are actually hitting things with the rim/tire when you are turning and driving...

Plus, you have 98,000 miles on your truck. The tierods and bearings could have needed changing on that simply because the previous owner, or you, were rough on them or they just wore out after so long :shrug:

Shoot, I had to replace mine after 4 or 5 years of owning it, probably right around 60,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
That's the same wheel/tire setup (size wise) that I have on my 2005. Here is my view on it:
The overall mass that you're spinning... tire, wheel, hub etc. is almost identical to what came off of it originally. If you stuck 33" Donk rims that required cutting fenders and all then yeah, it would probably put extra strain on some stuff.

"The shop claims that if I don't lose the big rims that I will probably have to replace them again in the future."... lol, sooner or later everything wears out. Sounds to me like they are securing an out in case the bearings and rods they just installed sh*t the bed on you prematurely. They'll just say, "I TOLD you those rims and tires would ruin the truck!!!"

Either way, if you don't like the way they look, snatch them off of there and get some you like. The size that's on there now both tire and wheel won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I'm going to avoid those shops for now on. I'm not sure about the previous owners but I take great care of the truck. I can't afford not to lol.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
that set up is slightly larger than the rear wheels/tires on my Camaro so you should be fine.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
That's the same wheel/tire setup (size wise) that I have on my 2005. Here is my view on it:
The overall mass that you're spinning... tire, wheel, hub etc. is almost identical to what came off of it originally. If you stuck 33" Donk rims that required cutting fenders and all then yeah, it would probably put extra strain on some stuff.

"The shop claims that if I don't lose the big rims that I will probably have to replace them again in the future."... lol, sooner or later everything wears out. Sounds to me like they are securing an out in case the bearings and rods they just installed sh*t the bed on you prematurely. They'll just say, "I TOLD you those rims and tires would ruin the truck!!!"

Either way, if you don't like the way they look, snatch them off of there and get some you like. The size that's on there now both tire and wheel won't hurt anything.
I have the same size setup also, I am just about 55k on mine and its a 2.9 5 speed.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
If they fit his Camaro perhaps they'll do fine on a Colorado?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts