Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, for the past few weeks I've been looking at various lifting options for my '04 Chevy Colorado Z71 2WD that are not only cost effective, but also are not going to tear up my suspension. Originally my plan was going to go include a Skyjacker Add-a-leaf, MAXX torsion keys, new torsion bars to fix any sagging, and flipping the ball joints with MAXX spacers, as well as replacing my stock shocks with some Ranchos to compensate for the added height. This totaled up to around 1k with the new bars, and am looking to cut that down a bit if my current plans are unnecessary. I do have about 118k miles, so I probably do need to go ahead and replace my torsion bars, but if I don't particularly need to, I won't. My revision to my current plan includes sticking with my stock torsion keys and just cranking it up about 1-3 inches depending on how high the back gets, throwing in the MAXX ball joint flip for an extra inch or so, and just getting some 4-inch shackles for 2 inches in the back. This cuts down my cost to only about 150$ since I'm mainly sticking with cost components. I have never really ridden my truck too hard or carried a lot of cargo, so I'm hoping that I don't have too much wear on my current leaf springs or t-bars to go about replacing them. So really I'm just seeing if any of y'all have opinions on how realistic it is to crank, flip the bjs, and install new shackles without new shocks? without causing too much wear? Thanks a ton.

TL;DR How safe is my suspension if I go for new shackles for 2 inches in the back, flip my ball joints and add spacers, and crank my t-bars till it's leveled, and would I need to get new shocks with it?

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Answered on coloradofans...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I needed a "po boy" lift and added about 3" to the rear by buying and installing 2 sets of these:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ac111030/10053619-P?searchTerm=helper+springs
I put one in front of axle and one behind axle on both sides. Very easy install, took about an hour for both sides. I then cranked up my stock torsion bars for about a 2" lift in the front. Much better ride once I was done. My truck had about 200,000 miles on it when I did this and the leaf springs had developed the "W" shape that they get when they're worn out. Good, strong "U" shape now and handles loads a lot better. If your leaf springs are in better shape, you may get more lift than I did. When cranking torsion bars, it's much more accurate to count the number of turns on each one than to use a tape measure. When you crank them up they settle a little after just sitting a little bit. If you use a tape measure, the second side will always end up being lower than the first just because of the slight settling that the first side has done prior to comparing the two sides. I just cranked up the front until it looked good to me. I like a little more height in the rear and think it looks more "truck-like", and I do pull a trailer a lot and I haul a lot of stuff too.
Hope this helps, but you may be looking for something more extreme.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts