Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello was trying to remove my drums today but they give me a pain in the $%#, can not get them out both, went to adjustor and really hard to do it, any other option to close the brakes and pull them out?? and to be there with ACL problems (knee) not fun at all.
putting new brakes and drums, but spend couple hrs. trying, but really hard, any help to solve my problem?
Thank you in advance..

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
If you are replacing the drums, take a cut-off wheel and make a bigger window in the front of the drum rather than using the access slot on the backing plate.

They aren't fun going through the factory window. It always takes me at least an hour per side. It pisses me off because I can do other drum brakes in no time but for some reason these always put up a fight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done!!
it was a pain in my ACL and the ...s, but finish yesterday late,
first adjuster was all open , hard to retract o reverse it, so plan B, use a pry bar, outside and then inside, second the parking brake was another one, but finally done.
Notice something with brakes, why they have so little brake pad?? for a truck?
they make them for less than 40,000 miles? my third pair since bought the truck (06), they last me 3 years or 30000 miles, truck now 99000 miles..anyways....next my 2 in. front leveling...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I am also an ACL patient. Even though it's been fixed for about 5 years, living with it severed for about 15 years definitely changed my lifestyle. Even now I find myself squatting or getting into a position that 'saves' my knee from locking up although I have a functional joint again. With 15 years of an injury, I had to find ways around nothing being totally functional.

·
Registered
94 Posts
^ That's true, you don't change the rear brakes every time you change the front. Rule of thumb is you change the rears on the second time you change fronts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts