Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so for about a year I've had low idle issues every now an then, and it only became more persistent as time went on. I believe it was only throwing evap codes during the time, so I let it go until I could get around to it. So then the time comes when I'm able to direct my attention toward it. I was driving and the low idle was a bit worse, it was sputtering all the way to my house, and it sounded bad so I shut it off. Grabbed an OBD2 reader and ran the codes, but this time it was the p0300 code, random miss. I then replaced the fuel filter on the off chance that could fix it, but now it cranks but won't start. Also has no fuel pressure, changed the plugs, coils seemed alright. Has anyone had this problem/knows what could fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
It will never start without fuel pressure . You must find the cause of that before anything else .

·
Registered
392 Posts

6 Causes of Low Fuel pressure
  1. Clogged Fuel filter
  2. Bad fuel pump
  3. Bad fuel pressure regulator
  4. Stuck Fuel injector
  5. Bad fuel pipe line
  6. Fuel pressure sensor

There are many different causes of low fuel pressure, but here you will find the most common solutions to fix your low fuel pressure.
Here is a more detailed list of the 6 most common causes of low fuel pressure.

Clogged Fuel Filter
The fuel filter cleans the fuel entering the engine. The fuel filter should be replaced within special intervals, and if you have not changed it for a long time – it might be a clogged fuel filter causing low fuel pressure.

Bad Fuel Pump
A bad fuel pump is probably the most common cause of low fuel pressure. It happens that the fuel pump is becoming slower or damaged inside, which causes it to not being able to push enough fuel to the engine. This causes low fuel pressure.

Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator
The fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If there is something wrong with the fuel pressure regulator, it can create too low or too high fuel pressure in the rail. It is not very common that this part fails, but it can happen.

Stuck Fuel Injector
If one of the fuel injectors are damaged and stuck open, this can cause a low fuel pressure in the rail. You will often notice this by misfire codes on a specific cylinder at the same time.

Bad Fuel pipe Line
If you have been driving on a bumpy road or offroad in a while, there is a risk that you hit a stone or something similar.
The fuel pipes under the car are often made out of steel or aluminum, and if you hit a stone, there is a risk that these became compressed – which will, in return, result in low fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure sensor
The fuel pressure sensor feels the pressure in the fuel rail. Some cars have electric fuel pressure regulators, which is controlled by the fuel pressure sensor.
If your fuel pressure sensor reads the wrong pressure, it might trick the fuel pressure regulator into releasing the fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
I would like to add one other, Check to make sure the fuel filter is on the correct way. I have seen that be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to work from the pump forward, I took the bed off to see the third image. It looks like the ring lock that locks the fuel pump in must have completely eroded over time. The other 2 photos are of what was in the pump when I started taking it out, and the other is the inside of my tank. I'm assuming this is my problem! I'm just hoping a small piece of rust didn't get anywhere inside the motor. Thank you guys for the advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Impressive damage! I'd say you found it. But if anyone else comes across this thread in the future and that doesn't solve their problems, I'll add:
My evap solenoid was bad and not letting the tank pull air in as the fuel went out. It gave me similar low idle and no start issues. No codes but I realized what it was when opening the gas cap and you could hear air rushing in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts