Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got an aftermarket headunit for Christmas (Kenwood KDC BT362U) and I'm planning on installing it tomorrow. I went out and bought the installation kit and the wiring adapter to mate up with the one given. They're both pigtails that will be connected together using butt connectors. On each, there are three wires that don't have a similar one on the other connector.

On the pigtail that plugs into the factory harness, the Power Antenna (Blue), Illumination (Orange), and the Dimmer (Orange/White) wires don't have anywhere to go on the pigtail coming out of the new head unit.

On the pigtail coming from the head unit, the steering wheel remote input, mute, and a wire labeled "P. CONT/ANT. CONT" don't have mates. I assume that the "mute" and "steering wheel remote input" wires just get taped off and left alone, as I don't have any steering wheel controls, and I'm assuming there's no mute input.

The vehicle is a 2004, with no Onstar and no Sirius/XM. Does the "Power Antenna" and "P. CONT/ANT. CONT" wires get mated together? What do I do with the Illumination and Dimmer wires? Does the head unit just use the power from the battery to power the illumination, and they don't allow me to dim it with everything else? I would really like to keep the dimming feature, if it's at all possible. Also, will this radio operate like a factory one, where it will shut off when I open my doors?
Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I installed my Pioneer FH-X700bt, I used an adapter from metra. Without it, you won't get the extra 15 minutes or so of "Reserve Power" after you shut off the car. The radio will just turn off and on with the ignition. As for the illumination, I some radios have a built in dimming feature like mine, others allow you to use the factory dimming.. I dont know how yours works.

The adapter was the GMRC-02 that i used from metra... the GMRC-01 would work but I wanted the chimes to come through the door speakers and not the built in chime that comes with the 01.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you purchased a chimes retention module then yes you will keep the RAP (stays on after keys removed and before a door opens.

Dimming can't be used if the new HU doesn't support dimming.

You are correct in your thoughts about, if the wires don't mate then simply tape it off and do not use it. The factory HU has features that after market don't usually keep, such as dimming.

Identify what wire harness you have and we can possibly provide additional help.

The illumination wire turns on the HU lights when the lights come on. Most HU's have lights that come on all the time (wire not used). Dimming, was covered. Power antenna, same thing, if you do not have a power antenna, do not use. That wire is only energized when in 'radio' mode....switch a source that does not require an antenna and the line goes dead, retracting the antenna.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the help guys! I might end up getting the Metra higher end harness if I can't stand it without the RAP function. Now to get some butt connectors that work for this gauge of wire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it all together. I bought the wrong adapter, so I went and bought the correct one, a Scosche with the chimes and everything, for only $25 ($96 off retail). If anyone wanted to get that harness, it's worth looking online at Best Buy and seeing if it's on sale and available near you. The chimes go through a crappy speaker that gets mounted in the dash, so I just opened the box and cut the wires going to the speaker. Didn't even like the chimes, really, plus I have the RAP function and a few other features that it listed.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Oh man....buyer beware.
The Scosche adaptor has been known to cause problems. If you experience electrical gremlins, start with the harness.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just as a side note.

If you go to the ignition wires right at the steering column and use a multi meter you can get the acc wire and it will retain the rap feature. I did this on my own truck and works great and just used a standard harness with out any chime boxes. I will try pull my dash to get the wire colour,I should have noted it years ago.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know, thanks for the info. If this harness craps out, I'll probably just buy a new regular adapter and a new Kenwood harness and do that, because my harness right now doesn't look the best. Now I just have to trim the bezel that comes with the radio because it's too wide to fit in the dash trim piece...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You should not have to cut any thing. Dash kit should be ISO din and remove the deck trim ring.

What kit are you using.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yeah, double check the installation instructions.

Mine HU is tucked away nicely behind the GM Bezel and is very clean.

Maybe because of the dash kit I have allows this type of installation. I had to remove the Kenwood Bezel. The dash kit mounts directly to the stereo. The dash kit trim ring replaces the Kenwood Bezel and gives it a near flush finish.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/members/69977-08canyon-albums-stereo-installed.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My HU is single DIN, and I used a Metra installation kit, which has a pocket built in. The plastic bezel that comes on the radio is too wide to fit in the gap in the silver dash piece, and I would just leave it off, but you can see the edge of the metal cage sticking through the installation kit piece. I assume it's all installed right, because the tabs that the screws go through are touching the face they screw in to, and the radio is definitely in all the way. I'll try to remember to get pictures tomorrow.

After looking at your pictures, I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. Instead of using those side brackets like you did, I just used the metal cage that came with the radio. I'll have to check that out soon. Also, you don't need those square tabs on the four corners, right? The manual said to cut them off, so I took a Dremel to them:ugh:

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I've installed mine (also Metra from Best Buy). I do recall having to do the installation a bit differently than what I've done on all of my installs in the past. Look through the instructions for the dash kit and look for the pictures that resemble the type of install I did. I think like fastone said, it is an ISO install. I believe it was listed as a "some Japanese vehicles" area. I have my installation booklet still if you need me to refer back to it. I'll be working tomorrow and won't get to the book until after work....so I won't be able to refer back to it until the evening.

If you mean you had to cut off the tabs from the install kit (what you Dremeled), I do remember having to do something like that. It has been over 2 years since I've done my install so the details are a little rusty. I think the tabs were meant for other GM vehicles, and our dash opening doesn't have room for tabs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, 08Canyon, I got it looking better now. Used those plastic side mounts, now the faceplate is flush with the rest of the install kit. Glad I'm done with that project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resurrecting a slightly older thread.. i have the GMOS-01 adapter in my truck, with a pioneer head unit. I hooked everything up to the adapter, and had no power. Found a video on youtube that says hook the power up to a black wire under the dash, and it works fine, retains RAP, etc. Ever since putting the radio in though, I get massive parasitic drain, and i'm having to jump my battery every night. Does anyone know what that black wire may go to? or if there is a better wire to tap into? I'm wondering if the adapter i bought has a fault or if something is keeping the pcm turned on full power at night. I know the sub isn't drawing power, i checked it and there is no shorts or draws.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts