Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone put an aftermarket mechanical temperature gauge on an I-5 3.5 liter, and if so, where did you mount the sensor probe? I have search all over the forum, and used the search engine, but have found no results. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Re: Aftermarket temperature gauge?

It'd probably be easiest to just splice into the radiator hose with one of those coupler/bung things that the ricer's use. I had one on my little VW beater car and it worked pretty good.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Or just get a scan gauge II, its plug and play

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

@ Josh, Trying to avoid that option. Last resort. I am thinking there has to be a water jacket somewhere with a plug in it, I just do not have a clue as to where.

@ 1badI5, I wish I had the money, I have a gauge already. Had one to put in my previous project Jeep and sold the jeep before I put it in.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

@ 1BadI5, 08canyon, I understand that. I have the gauge in hand, and no money to spend. Someone on here has to have put a mechanical gauge on their ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts

Just curious, the stock engine coolant temp sensor has a plug. Can the wires be spliced so that they also send the signal to the the gauge you want to install? I would think it is probably a type K thermocouple setup like most temperature circuits.

Maybe @Supermodulation has an idea if this could/would be doable. It just supplies the voltage that translates to a specific temperature. Just have to locate the plug and splice into the wires to get the signal to go to the digital aftermarket gauge. (maybe...)

·
Registered
424 Posts

@ 1BadI5, 08canyon, I understand that. I have the gauge in hand, and no money to spend. Someone on here has to have put a mechanical gauge on their ride.
I've done this on several different rides, but not the 355 (Scangauge II in it). Copper tubing coupling in either the rad hose or heater hose where hot coolant EXITS the motor/water pump. Drill/tap/JBWeld a brass fitting, into the coupling, that the gauge sending unit screws into. Tip of sending unit needs to be in the coolant flow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just curious, the stock engine coolant temp sensor has a plug. Can the wires be spliced so that they also send the signal to the the gauge you want to install? I would think it is probably a type K thermocouple setup like most temperature circuits.

Maybe @Supermodulation has an idea if this could/would be doable. It just supplies the voltage that translates to a specific temperature. Just have to locate the plug and splice into the wires to get the signal to go to the digital aftermarket gauge. (maybe...)
good idea, except I have an old fashioned copper wire mechanical unit, not electric. I just need to know where I can screw it into the block or head, where water flows. I do not want to disable the truck system, I just want to see my water temp, real time, real temp.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

I read a thread for the AC off message warning for the atlas engines where the fix was to relocate the factory temp sensor to the opposite side of the head. There is supposed to be a plug there on the drivers side that is exact size and you can just swap the plug for the sensor and vice versa then be good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I read a thread for the AC off message warning for the atlas engines where the fix was to relocate the factory temp sensor to the opposite side of the head. There is supposed to be a plug there on the drivers side that is exact size and you can just swap the plug for the sensor and vice versa then be good to go.
Thanks, I will check for that.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts

good idea, except I have an old fashioned copper wire mechanical unit, not electric. I just need to know where I can screw it into the block or head, where water flows. I do not want to disable the truck system, I just want to see my water temp, real time, real temp.

Can you take a pick of the probe or txt it to me 732-690-6443
What ever is easiest for you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can u exchange it for a electric temp gauge? Electric temp gauges have a smaller/more compact sending unit. The gauge/sending unit in your pic is in general for old school motors of yesteryear......those with pipe plugs in intake manifolds and t-stat covers. U r gonna have to get creative in how u mount it as the tip of that sending unit appears to be an inch, or better, long and will require what looks like a +/-1/2" FNPT thread. The copper pipe coupling in the hot rad hose may be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cannot exchange it, have had it for about 5 years. I do not have the money for a different gauge currently. I like the radiator hose heater hose idea, but I will have to wait to be able to do that. Really do not have any money to spend right now.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I took the adapter they sell for the V8 and added another brass fitting to it to make it
long enough to fit the water temp probe in the pass side head. the adapter is metric
male threads to fit in the head and female NPT threads to screw the probe into.
but it's only 1 1/2" long, needs to be 2" long.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I cannot exchange it, have had it for about 5 years. I do not have the money for a different gauge currently. I like the radiator hose heater hose idea, but I will have to wait to be able to do that. Really do not have any money to spend right now.
+/-$5 should buy the copper coupling, a brass bushing (that the sending unit screws into) and JBWeld.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The brass bushings are in the gauge kit, I am just looking for a better way to put it together besides JB weld.

I am wondering, does the coolant always flow through the heater core, or does the heater have to be on for it to flow? If it always flows through the heater hoses then I think I have a great way to run this.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts