Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $475 for the part alone and another 1-2 hours of labor to change the seatbelt pretensioner/retractor motor on my 2010 Z85 (passenger side). The airbag light came on at 55,000 mi. I know this has been an issue on 1st gen Colorados. I'm looking at $700+ for the repair with the parts, labor and sales tax--and what's to say that the same problem won't happen again in 3-4 years?

What has everyone else done? Since it's on the passenger side, I'm assuming the driver's side airbag will deploy, but not the passenger's side. I'm on the fence on what to do, and I still have to ask my wife if she wants it fixed, since she rides in the truck with me at certain times.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
@rshadd

Didn't you have a similar issue?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Likely a broken seat belt pretensioner wire in the rear drivers side door. It's a fairly common problem on the extended cabs. You can repair the broken wire or opt to simply replace the harness.

BTW.. your repair guy is quoting you outrageously high prices for this repair.

More details here:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/elec...tended-cab-airbag-warning-light-solution.html.
He says that he checked the harness and that there were no broken wires. I agree that he's quoting a ridiculous price for the repair---I'm toying with simply just not fixing the problem and dealing with an annoying airbag light on a truck with only 55,000 miles. Unbelievable that GM hasn't ordering a recall on this issue when most of the ext cab models have had the same freaking problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
When a DTC for the SRS is present the entire SRS is disabled until repaired. Was a scan tool used to identify the source of the failure? If so, what was the DTC?

If DTC B0057 is present, test for a short between the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits.
If DTC B0058 is present, test the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance.
If DTC B0059 is present, test the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits for a short to voltage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When a DTC for the SRS is present the entire SRS is disabled until repaired. Was a scan tool used to identify the source of the failure? If so, what was the DTC?

If DTC B0057 is present, test for a short between the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits.
If DTC B0058 is present, test the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance.
If DTC B0059 is present, test the seat belt pretensioner - RF high and low circuits for a short to voltage.
A scan tool was used. I'm not taking it back to him until I get a second opinion. I have a good friend who has a scanner and I'm going to have him run the test again and I'll have him check these codes that you mentioned. I'm not a DIY type guy but he is. I have to pursue the wiring harness issue with someone else before I dole out $750 for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts