·
Registered
2,686 Posts
why ? he just wants the all wheel drive like a car, and doesn't need/want
the low gear part.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Then he needs to find an AWD transfercase, like out of a trailblazer or something

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
487 Posts
Yeah, don't run a V8 Colorado on the street in 4x4. It's not a full time system, it's only meant to be used when conditions require it. Running 4x4 on dry pavement is a quick way to ruin the transfer case.

If you want to do that, you'll need to replace the t-case with one designed for full time use.

T

·
0 Posts
AWD vehicles have an electronic management, the wheels are not turning at the same rpm (special transfer case) when in a turn for example, or else you could break something quickly...

·
Registered
27 Posts
You never think you need Low, until you need Low!

I'd study the H3 Alpha's set up. The I-5 H3 I had was AWD, but had selectable Hi & Low ranges. I also had a '03 Sierra 1500HD Quadsteer 4x4, it had 2 Hi, 4 Hi, 4 Low, & an "on call" AWD mode that runs off traction sensors. I wish GM would add options for upgraded T-Cases in the 355s. Either that, or go back to a floor-shifter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although it has nothing to do with the original post we can all agree, don't drive around on pavement in 4 Hi & certainly not in 4 Lo. I think we have cleared that up. Anybody dumb enough to try it will change there mind after turning out of the driveway.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Although it has nothing to do with the original post we can all agree, don't drive around on pavement in 4 Hi & certainly not in 4 Lo. I think we have cleared that up. Anybody dumb enough to try it will change there mind after turning out of the driveway.
Too bad that isn't necessarilly true.

According to the guy who says he notices it EVERY TIME he drives in 4x4. True story...
The complaint was that it is hard to steer in 4hi, and even worse in 4lo.

You can't be 'dumb enough' when you have never driven a 4x4 before.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
You never think you need Low, until you need Low!

I'd study the H3 Alpha's set up. The I-5 H3 I had was AWD, but had selectable Hi & Low ranges. I also had a '03 Sierra 1500HD Quadsteer 4x4, it had 2 Hi, 4 Hi, 4 Low, & an "on call" AWD mode that runs off traction sensors. I wish GM would add options for upgraded T-Cases in the 355s. Either that, or go back to a floor-shifter.
My moms 2000 s10 blazer had something like that. Normally was 2hi. But push buttons for 4hi, 4low and auto-4wd. Auto-4wd can only be described as awd, like a subaru or something. It was great for snow or even real heavy rains. Really wish the 355's had that option.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do NOT do that.

Driving in anything other than 2WD on pavement with the stock transfer case will result in unnecessary wear and tear on the unit, and probably cause it to fail much sooner than it normally would. It is NOT designed for use on the road or in conditions where traction isn't an issue (such as on dry pavement).

If you want to drive around in 4wd on pavement, you need to replace the stock transfer case with a full-time unit.
Good thing he said he was going to drive in 2-HI:shrug:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts