Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen Powerstop rotors and brake kits mentioned here a few times.
What other OE-alternative rotors can you tell me about?

With the installation of my rear disc conversion a few months ago I have no complaints at all with the OE brakes.
But, I'm doing a front-end rebuild in a few days and since those discs are the captured type, I want to find the longest-lasting rotors I can get.

Anyone want to share experience with anything other than the OE rotors?
I'm not too interested in drilled rotors, but I might want to look at slotted at least.
Stainless would be great.

Anyone?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had some cross drilled and slotted rotors some time back, cool looking but not for me, where i lived it was all hills so i used my brakes alot, one day out of the blue had a bad vibration when i hit my brakes checked it out and the rotor cracked between a few of the drilled holes, but your on thight track, never tried just slotted though

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered some slotted (but not drilled) rotors from SSBC.

Near as I can tell though, they aren't stainless-steel.
The SSBC site doesn't say they are or are not.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Just a question:
You said you want the longest lasting rotors you can find. Why not go back to OEM? Don't our OEM rotors last like a lifetime?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just a question:
You said you want the longest lasting rotors you can find. Why not go back to OEM? Don't our OEM rotors last like a lifetime?
Probably.. who really knows?

The NAPA brand I have new in the box now will probably last as long as anything else.
I just don't want to have to break the front end apart again for 2-3 years at least.

Looking at my present rotors they're probably good for another 45K or more. But if I gotta tear down the front end anyway, I'm going with fresh everything.

As I get within a few days of my scheduled rebuild I'm just stressing over whether I have everything covered.
Got too much going on.. In my situation I can't afford the time to have the entire job take more than the one day.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep at 4:30 AM and decided to pull the trigger on the SSBC rotors.. If they can get them to me before the end of the week. I'll have to call tomorrow.

Just thought I'd ask. Folks here own the sum total of all 355 knowledge on the planet..
and most here know more than I about almost everything automotive.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
A friend of mine who wheels his Bronco pretty hard ate through brakes. He always ran the most aggressive pads he could and ended up replacing rotors every second brake job.

I think the most important part is finding a rotor/pad combination that works together. Not a cheap-o rotor and aggressive pad.

It sounds like you're there with your research. But considering you were asking, I was just curious about why you didn't go back with OEM considering the life span of them

With that said, I'll be throwing a differet set of pads on my truck soon. I should have done it alredy -but been lazy. I'm probably going with the Wagner Thermoquiet pads then have my rotors turned. OEM pads are ridiculously overpriced, and I'll never wear them out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
^^ I have the thermoquiet pads on mine great choice, 5k later no dust, no noise, and consistant brake feel. a little pricey but i think its worth it

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
^^ I have the thermoquiet pads on mine great choice, 5k later no dust, no noise, and consistant brake feel. a little pricey but i think its worth it
Cool thanks. I've heard good things about those pads in the past but haven't had any experience with them myself.

My braking power is quite horrible now - I need to quit putting it off.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
I've used the Powerslot rotors before when I had my Cavalier. Didn't really have them on long enough to really get a wear idea but they worked great at the dragstrip on Fridays. Never had a problem with brake fade. Although I think the best example was during one of the epic rainstorms that tear through the Midwest....my OEM rotors actually would hydroplane and I'd have almost no brakes until the water had been removed from the rotor. With the Powerslots, never had that issue.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ive had powerstops on for about a month. love them so far; they feel more crisp, like the pad is biting the rotor that much quicker. we'll see how they wear down the road...

I have also already upgraded from '06 to '09+ rotors/calipers/pads

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
I've always ran Centric and Powerslot on all my vehicles. Centric (Stoptech) makes drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, plain, cheap, and high-end variants for our trucks.

I'm partial to slotted rotors, and have never been a fan of drilled ones due to cracking. There are some that are dimpled and slotted which don't have the cracking issues. As far as pads go, I've always ran fairly aggressive ones.

For me I usually end up changing my brakes every 50k. Turning rotors is annoying so I usually just replace em lol. I'm really hard on my brakes, and vehicles in general, so I gladly sacrifice brake life for better stopping power.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Oh, and stock brakes suck. I just pulled my stock ones off at 56k miles with well over half the pad and rotor life left on them.

They're horrible if you actually use your brake pedal for anything besides granny driving. I glazed mine the day I got the truck, even with abs going full retard for me. I drive like I have a race truck though haha.

While you're at it, rip the stupid shield off too. I kept getting crap stuck in mine that would make them squeal.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My brakes seem to work fine.

They are worn now so my panic braking isn't so desirable, but for the past few years I've never once felt fearful of not stopping in time.

So I definitely can't say that almost 80,000 miles later the brakes 'suck'.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
195K on my original pads and rotors and still going strong. Only time I get any squeaking is leaving the community where I live on cold mornings. Once they get a little heat in them, quiet as a mouse and still grab great. :)

But I don't drive my truck like a racecar either. I kinda like averaging 24 mpg.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
But I don't drive my truck like a racecar either. I kinda like averaging 24 mpg.
Opening up and unleashing that screaming-bee 3.5L is my only fun these days :D.
I really gotta get out more and go find a life..

Spend a year driving the streets of Milwaukee and your brakes will get a serious workout at any speed.

Monday I sat at an intersection with a red light in a 40 MPH zone.
Some kamikaze jackleg came up in the right lane at about 60 MPH and ran into that red-light to make a left turn thru the intersection.
A second later another came along behind him to do the same damn thing. Musta been giving chase..

'bout 5 more days and I am OUTTA HERE, southbound and gone!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well SSBC sent the wrong rotors...

The rotors I received are "hat-shaped".. definitely not 355 rotors.
I'll have to go with OE rotors now, my install is Friday morning.
No time to receive replacements from SSBC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts