Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have to drive across the sierras often (0ft to ~7,500ft to ~4,500ft) and my 3.5 decides to go on vacation when the air gets thin. Would a tune help or hurt me get over the pass? Besides forced induction and an aftermarket CAI would anything else help? Any info helps! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Your truck already has a CAI.

Hard to say if a tune can help. With driving in different elevations it sounds like a tuning nightmare. I'd suspect it be lean down low if you leaned it out for high altitude.

I thought the computers actually already adjusted for altitude. Air is read then fuel is metered accordingly? Is that not quite how it works?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your truck already has a CAI.

Hard to say if a tune can help. With driving in different elevations it sounds like a tuning nightmare. I'd suspect it be lean down low if you leaned it out for high altitude.

I thought the computers actually already adjusted for altitude. Air is read then fuel is metered accordingly? Is that not quite how it works?
Ya thats what I'm afraid of. I can barely go past 60 on most the stuff over 6000ft though. I thought maybe a tune would help get more out of my engine and the ECU might still adjust accordingly. But I don't know anything about tuning, thats why I'm asking. Couldn't find any relevant threads either.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
let me add to this some more im an aircraft mech the only thing that will help is more cubes or fi i deal with this for the same reason also on high hot days you be surprised how many people die each year do to this

really to maintain stock hp/tq all you need is 1 psi so if you can do that u will be just fine and u wont need a tune for it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
let me add to this some more im an aircraft mech the only thing that will help is more cubes or fi i deal with this for the same reason also on high hot days you be surprised how many people die each year do to this

really to maintain stock hp/tq all you need is 1 psi so if you can do that u will be just fine and u wont need a tune for it

That's good to know, also upsetting that there's no cheap way to fix the suffocation. What do you mean people die?! Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

Your posts crack me up every time. I have never ever seen a capital letter or a period in any of your posts. LOL

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That's good to know, also upsetting that there's no cheap way to fix the suffocation. What do you mean people die?! Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
well its controlled flight into terrain
some people try to fly out of an airport thats say 7500ft alt add to that its and 80* day ther is now a density alt of 10000ft at the runway

now take my dads c150 it has a 100hp but thats biased at sea level and on a standard day at 59* @ 29.92bar

now at this density alt im not going flying if i had a 150hp o-320 ye lets roll

some people still try to take off and don't make it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I did get a tune, it would be all f'd up when I go into altitude? I've heard people say no, yes, and kinda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts