Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 10" L5 kicker powered by a kicker ZX 750.1 amp. Until recently the sub was wired for 4 Ohm. Then I discovered that I could get more Juice outta the amp by rewiring the sub. So, I had the amp at at or just above 3/4 Gain, around 3/4 DL, and lowest crossover settings. All of a sudden when i thought i was about to lose my rear view, my amp quit. I checked all the fuses, and had to disconnect/reconnect power wires to get the amp back up. Did it just overheat, or is it too much for the Sub? Thanks.
-Nate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, that'd be it dude, a little much for the kicker.

How, exactly, did you wire it? Series? Parallel? What ohm load are you running at the subs? Dual voice coil?

Answer all those questions, and I'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with. :)

What I'm guessing though, is that you've got a < 2ohm load on the amp and it's pushing it's little heart out to make you happy...but, it's overheating in the process...most amps have a protect circuit like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AH, I have a single S10L5 DVC 4 ohm Sub wired parallel. The sub is rated 450 rms, 900 peak watts, so i figured in the mid range between rms and peak would be ok. By the way I am in no form or fashion an electrical genious, lol.
-Nate

P

·
0 Posts
AH, I have a single S10L5 DVC 4 ohm Sub wired parallel. The sub is rated 450 rms, 900 peak watts, so i figured in the mid range between rms and peak would be ok. By the way I am in no form or fashion an electrical genious, lol.
-Nate
Just mail it to my house, i can have it back to you in a few months or so. :mc: :lol:

All jokes aside, can you take pics of it, i wanna see exactly were you have this kicker placed. Interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
-Nate
Ah, okay. So you have a 2 ohm load on the amp, but a 4 ohm load at the sub. The kicker probably says "2 ohm stable" right? The bad thing about having an amp at 2 ohms consistently (although it says it's that stable) is that it's a constant power struggle to perform at that much of a draw. If you're going to keep it wired that way, I'd suggest cutting back on the gain by at least a 1/4 as well as whatever other function you have turned up on the amp, then you can increase the volume of the radio and adjust your midrange accordingly. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amp is behind the rear bench passenger side, Box is:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, im on vacation, all i gots to do is drink beer till monday!:bang:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, thanks! I plan on upgrading when I get back stateside, so I will probly need help again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts