Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got another question for yall i have my amp sitting under my passenger seat (regular cab) and i have vinyl instead of the carpet. yesterday the amp got so hot she shut off and i mean it was too hot to touch for more than 3 seconds or so. happened in about 30 minutes i believe. my question is is there a better place to put it to help keep it cool? i know it could be an issue with the amp itself i'm just trying to help minimize the variables here. thanks

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
also larger more secure ground. that will make your amp run more efficiently.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have mine mounted to the plastic right behind the seat right behind the door. I use to have it under the seat but switched to a bigger amp and it wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my amp just barely fits under the seat lol. my ground is an 8 gauge i ran it behind the back plastic and i screwed it into where the jack once screwed into it. would my lack of an in-amp fuse on the power wire make much difference in this? i've always had one before on there but this round ran a bigger power wire and didn't have one. :shrug:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check and make sure all your connections are solid, all else fails turn your gain down, ive seen alot of people crank up the gain and be running it a 1ohm or less, and wonder why its getting hot and clipping off

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will certainly check everything again and see what things are looking like. thanks for the help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cleaning the paint from your ground spot could help. Adding a fuse wont help the amp but will keep your truck from burning down should it short.
Make sure the amp can handle the ohm load you have, too low will heat it up in a hurry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
355 Parts Hoarder
6,842 Posts
You should always have a fuse in line. Can you post some specs of your amp, where is your amp is grounded to and how the ground is secured?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
use oxygen free copper the same size as what your amp is rated for, always use good crimp connectors or the kind that you tighten an allen head screw into. always remove all paint from your ground area and make sure that the wire your connecting to the amp is clean and fresh and not frayed. post a few pics of all your connections.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should always have a fuse in line. Can you post some specs of your amp, where is your amp is grounded to and how the ground is secured?

amp is a power acoustik 2600w 2 channel amp. my amp is grounded to one of the bolts where the bottle jack was mounted. i simply used the bolt from that and smashed the ground cable between it and the cab.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had a gentleman build the box and installed the subs but said due to the fact that my amp is only 2 ohm stable he wired them to be at 4 ohms (my subs are dual 2 ohm voice coils apiece). my subs run on two separate channels and aren't bridged. however, since i wasn't there to see him wiring it all up i can't verify for certain.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
i would have to guess that the fact your ground wire is smashed between the nut and the cab that it is a huge problem. cut off that end section and go buy a good connector. make sure to remove all paint that the connector touches.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Although I haven't worked as an installer at a car audio store in 15+ years, I can't remember ever having a car amp overheat due to a weak/bad ground. Now I agree with the rest of the crew that you need to install an inline fuse on the power and clean-up the ground wire to make your amp work more efficiently, but I don't see that fixing your overheating issue. Here are my questions:

Where are your gains set? (You may want to back them off and see if that helps)

How much space between the bottom of the seat to the top of the amp? (I would recommend at least 2 inches of air space between the 2 for adequate air flow.)

You say that you are using (2) 2ohm dual VC subs. I assume these are ran in series, to get 4 ohms. Is your amp being ran in stereo or are the (2) subs tied together (either parallel or in series) and being ran bridged across the amp? If not being ran in stereo, I would recommend trying that as well to see if the helps eliminate the overheating issue.

Anyways, good luck and let us know your findings.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
a bad ground will cause the amp not to work efficiently, which in turn causes it to work harder and heat up faster... then it goes into protection mode. very possible , ive personally fixed a few. just an audio hobby guy but ive learned a few lessons in my day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts