Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if my truck would be able to handle a 2000 watt amp and another 800 watt amp or would that be to much for it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
This I gotta see..

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
I think he means the power supply for it. If you're running that many watts, I would suggest getting a bigger alternator.

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
2800 watts at 12v is 233+ amps, on top of what you need to run the truck (I do not know that off the top of my head). You'll definitely need a new alternator if you intend to bring those amps up to full power for any length of time. Or do a serious battery upgrade...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you have the money I would do both a battery and h/O alternator. Plus the big three. Check out stevemeadedesignsboard for a lot of helpful info on alternators and the big three too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can it handle it? Yes. Can it handle it to full potential? No.
1) Not knowing the amps you will be running… 2000 and 800 is probably the peak power of the amp. As mentioned that is about 233 amps at max power. Unless you are running max you will be under 233.
2) Our trucks have a factory alternator of 100 or 125 amps depending on year model.

My recommendation:
1) New good battery
2) Big 3 wire upgrade
3) HO alternator (Big 3 is a must, or risk frying the stock cables)
4) If you do get a HO alternator get a tune of PCM to idle at 750rpm’s, a HO alternator can stall below 750rpm’s

DEP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts