Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in my old truck (single cab) i had a little 2 channel 100W (200 max, 100 per channel) amp going to my front speakers (stock, hadnt got around to bying any) and it sounded pretty good. i ran the wires from under the drivers seat to the wiring harnes between the radio and stock plug and taped it there.

now i have a Ext. cab and i want to put the amp back in. i realy dont want to have to by another amp and power wires and what not, but im worried how it will sound with the amp in the front and just the radio powering the back.

most music realy dosent fade between the front and back, how would it sound (SQ, and power wise) if i doulbled up on the channels where both speakers on the left are going to the left on the amp and vise versa?

·
Registered
971 Posts
You're better off not amping the back at all. It's pretty much accepted in the sounds quality scene that you do not need an amp for the rear speakers which are known as "rear fill". The reasoning behind this is because in ideal imaging the music is coming from in front of you. You go to a concert to listen to music facing it...you don't turn your back on it to listen to it coming from behind you. In short, amp the front and you will be fine. No music fades front to back, the only thing that would do this is dolby digital surround sound.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My rear speakers are amped and it sounds pretty good. It gets a little too fucking loud back there though sometimes haha, and the fronts/components are already so loud that I dont bother trying to fade it :lol:

I have a friend who has a ex cab Silverado who only powers his fronts and it sounds just a good :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, right now all my speakers are stock and eventualy I am going to put some kicker DS components all around. Would the radio still power those fine?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never amped door speakers...but I've always wired my own stereo's...do you wire it the same ?
i think you talking about a sub? if you are then yes its the same.

but instead of running speaker wire from the amp to the speakers i run it to behind the radio and tap the factory wires on the wiring harness.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i think you talking about a sub? if you are then yes its the same.

but instead of running speaker wire from the amp to the speakers i run it to behind the radio and tap the factory wires on the wiring harness.
Yeah man...just making sure...That sounds easy enough. What do yhou guys recomend for door speakers ? (brand wise)

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks guys, right now all my speakers are stock and eventualy I am going to put some kicker DS components all around. Would the radio still power those fine?
Depending on power rating...possibly. I wouldn't run components off of any deck, components really need to be amped. Especially when you're running that much resistance through a crossover and then to the speakers...I suppose your deck would power them, but an amp would sound much better on components.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would say to just save your money and just run a set of coaxials in the back. Your components won't do the best off the hu and a set of coaxials off the hu will be all you need for rear fill imo.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on power rating...possibly. I wouldn't run components off of any deck, components really need to be amped. Especially when you're running that much resistance through a crossover and then to the speakers...I suppose your deck would power them, but an amp would sound much better on components.
i ment to type coaxils, when i was at school i was on a friends new iTouch that she had gotten for christmas and i still wasnt use to the controls, the keyboard is kinda weired, and i must not have been thinking what i was typing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say to just save your money and just run a set of coaxials in the back. Your components won't do the best off the hu and a set of coaxials off the hu will be all you need for rear fill imo.
i ment to type coaxils, when i was at school i was on a friends new iTouch that she had gotten for christmas and i still wasnt use to the controls, the keyboard is kinda weired, and i must not have been thinking what i was typing.
:werd2:

:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts