Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching for my "dash" rattle for a week now and it's the hood....
10mm pins near the wiper cowl are tight like I threw a wrench on and they are freakin tight but I can turn it it's just very hard... So I did a half turn on each and it still rattles... Like if you grab the hood you can move it up and down like a 1/16th inch even though the bolts are tight...

Any ideas?

Remove bolt throw in a rubber washer and re tighten maybe?

Thank!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Don't know, but...

I had the rattle that seems like the dash, or I thought maybe the front fender liners, about 4 years ago..
Someone here clued me in to the hood hinge, and that's what it was.
I do recall there there's very little space.
I used my trusty 1/4-inch drive ratchet and a socket (10 mm ?).

I do remember that the bolt seemed tight already and it didn't seem as if I was actually doing anything, but it did cure the rattle and it's never done it again.

Mainly I was paranoid that my ratchet + socket would slip and I'd scar my hood, but it didn't happen.

Good luck!

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Pop the hood and on the radiator support where your prop rod is (or was if you have hood struts) you should find two rubber stoppers. unscrew those a bit so they stick up more.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
!P7250157.jpg
Click image to enlarge

Borrowed a picture to show you.

Those guys adjust how low the front of the hood sits and how tight the latch is. Try adjusting them until the hood stops rattling.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Pop the hood and on the radiator support where your prop rod is (or was if you have hood struts) you should find two rubber stoppers. unscrew those a bit so they stick up more.
Those little rubber stoppers adjusted up maybe 1/4 turn on passenger side fixed my 'dashboard' rattle. Also lined up the hood a little better at the same time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome I'll try that tomorrow thanks everyone, now that it got mentioned my hood kinda bobbles back and fourth going down the road the faster I go the more it bobbles down at the grille end which probably causes the wiper cowl end to rattle

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Mine rattles too, drivers side hinge pin. Dealer part... $80... didnt think of the rubber bumpstops tho....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the rubber bumpers fixed mine shes dead silent now! I opened the hood and turned the rubber stoppers out like 3 turns (they were originally wound all the way in) and shut thw hood you could see the hood was forced higher than the fender now so i re-adjusted and re-adjusted until it sat perfectly flush with no rattly play to the fender. Then i threw a 10mm wrench on both hinge pin bolts and did two complete turns but did not over tighten and ever since it hasnt made any noise at all and it doesnt shake going down the road anymore!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
I found this out by creating a thread like this years ago. :lol:

·
Registered
253 Posts
My solution to hood hinge rattle was a small plastic washer cut from a coffee can lid and inserted between the two arms of the hinge at the pivot bolt. I even have a CB antenna attached to that hinge and no more rattle.
Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts