Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so long story short, I might be getting ahold of a wrecked 08 z71 4x4 3.7 for cheap. And I would like to know how hard would it be to swap out the engine, trans, and 4x4 components over to my 06 z71?

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
An 08 can be swapped into an 06 because Kevin has proved it but it is a lot more work then probably worth.

You need to look for an 07 if you want to do a straight swap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy shit! I just read through kevins post. That sounds like a nightmare!!!!! haha. but nevermind on the 3.7 swap.. what about the 4x4?

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
That part I know nothing about, I'm sure the SAS guys can help you on that. I know it requires wiring harness and maybe computer relearn on top of all the labor to get it done.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Just sas it. Probably cheaper and more durable at minimum. And your lifting options are endless.
He may be ok with the 08 engine if he has the harness and CPU.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just sas it. Probably cheaper and more durable at minimum. And your lifting options are endless.
He may be ok with the 08 engine if he has the harness and CPU.
Nah im not lookin to SAS it... Ive already got a z71 and by the end of the month im gonna have a donor truck with all the 4x4 components in it. I just didn't know what kind of electrical problems I would run into

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Ima say your best bet will be to run a Dana 300 tcase instead of the stock one. Will save you a ton of headaches for trying to get it wired and operating properly. I'm getting ready to swap mine out for one. I just swapped trans from a 5speed to auto and I believe my truck won't go into 4lo. Only tried once and it was before the trans was rebuilt. Advanced adapters has the adapter plate and stuff for a 4l60e to dana 300 tcase.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what I was hoping to do was just take all the 4x4 components out of the donor truck, and possibly the wiring harness and just swap them over to my truck, but then I read up on all the 08 3.7 motor/wiring differences and got kinda lost... can anyone tell me if I could still use the components off the donor truck, then at most just get the wiring harness/computer from an 04-07 4x4??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I forgot the 08 uses the CAN system or some shit. To use the 08 engine kmac had to add a sensor to the head I believe. You'd have to get an 04-06 or 07 harness. You can use your stock PCM or have limeswap or someone reflash it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I can't really think of a good reason to use a 2008 versus 2007. There's just as many 2007s in the junkyards and they're cheaper.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna be getting an entire truck with just frame damage, and front 1/4 panel damage, but suspension, engine, and entire rest of the truck is just fine, plus it's got bucket seats in it which I want.... im gonna be getting it for around 600. I'm definitely gonna get the truck, i plan on parting the truck out for a profit, but I just didn't know if I could use the 4x4 components off of it, instead of selling it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
When I get it. Send me the head lol. I'll make it work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts