Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my truck had 198000 miles and I am experiencing a horribly rough idle. I have a p0301 code that I replaced spark plugs and 1 new coil. The fuel filter has been replaced (it was disgusting) cleaned the throttle body, put it new air filter and finally a compression test that was between 170-180 across all cylinders and I still have a rough idle and it blows quite a bit of black soot from the exhaust when you rev it up. I do also have a p0449 code. Oh and it runs pretty good over 2000 rpms

·
Registered
521 Posts
Check for a clogged or stuck open fuel injector in cylinder 1. Noting the soot, its probably stuck open and making the burn very rich.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I will be digging into it again maybe tomorrow night I had suspicions of a injector as well but was hesitant because it didn’t throw any injector codes

·
Registered
521 Posts
As I know them, injector codes will only come from electrical faults. The misfire is detected by spark quality, which is heavily effected by air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A stuck/leaky injector will also cause a notable drop in gas mileage.
[/QUO
Okay so my truck had 198000 miles and I am experiencing a horribly rough idle. I have a p0301 code that I replaced spark plugs and 1 new coil. The fuel filter has been replaced (it was disgusting) cleaned the throttle body, put it new air filter and finally a compression test that was between 170-180 across all cylinders and I still have a rough idle and it blows quite a bit of black soot from the exhaust when you rev it up. I do also have a p0449 code. Oh and it runs pretty good over 2000 rpms
I had to get a new wire to the ignition coil on mine, my wire Plug went bad how, I don't no but when I replaced it problem went away.
here the part number
ACDelco PT1496

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are a few aftermarket suppliers of that injector connector as well, at about half the price. I have no experience with the aftermarket quality - going OEM is usually a good idea for something effecting safety or reliability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After testing the spark to the plug with an inline tester I confirmed there is spark, Then I got a new fuel injector for it and still no luck, so I performed a leak down test and there we have it, leaking intake valves. Today I pulled the motor and got the head off and am waiting for a new head assembly with cam shafts as well as timing chain sprockets and balancing shaft chain. the truck has 200,000 miles on it so I would rather replace things now than have to do this again. I got the truck for free so if I put 2000 into the truck then its still cheaper than buying a different one with lower miles. I will say if you're going to replace your own head do yourself a favor and just opt to pull the motor from the beginning. it saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so I need some information or someone who has a used operational cam phaser. I pulled the cam phaser to test it and it didn't move at all, I applied air to bench test it I dried put pressure clock wise then counter clockwise and it didn't move any at all. I assumed it must have needed more pressure and then needless to say there was a loud bang and a bunch of pieces on the ground. Called GM and the part is discontinued any ideas on different part numbers or where to find one? thanks for the help!

·
Registered
521 Posts
There's been some used ones for sale on ebay. A question I've been trying to get answered if the newer style (06+) will work. These are freely available, and significantly cheaper. I can't see how they wouldn't work given the cams and the head wasn't changed to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw a thread that I believe 07 wouldn't fit because the cam phaser wasn't as deep so the sensor wouldn't be in the right spot but I am unsure if this is the case for the 06. maybe I will have to look into it and get an answer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking through this thread (the UNending mod....... FINAL CHAPTER!!!!!) It seems to me there's no reason the 06 shouldn't fit I'm going to get on gm part giant and look at some more diagrams and part numbers and I believe that I'm going to order one and try it. ill be the guinea pig for everyone lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just checked the head part number to make sure it matches from 05-06 which it does. the cam position sensors have the same part numbers between the years as well. I am not seeing how it wouldn't fit. so I am going to order one today then I will report back with what I find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
order has been placed. It looks like it will be here between the 5-11 of march so now we wait

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will be checking with Chevrolet monday to see if they are able to get it any faster than that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've seen the new cam phaser referred to as an "improved design", which literally supports what your trying to do. We'll see - this will be helpful for a lot of folks with P0017 challenges.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts