Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kenzen just saw you comment on cam phaser being ( new design ) could you give us a link to more info on that. Thanks
Luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Kenzen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Okay so keep in mind at this very moment I cannot start the truck to test for any codes with this cam phaser. Yet

From what I am seeing there is no difference in between them minus the vane design. It fits onto the cam just fine it is long enough to reach the sensor. With that info and knowing that the part numbers for the sensors cams and head didn't change in between 2005 and 2006. This phaser should fully work with the 05 3.5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does anyone know if I have to change the rear main seal if I put in a new balance shaft chain? also are these motors prone to any oil pump issues that it would be worth replacing the pump? It had know oil issues before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The head is on the timing chain will be in tomorrow and hopefully definitive answered tomorrow evening such as I am questioning whether you actually have to drop the oil pan to pull the timing cover there are bolts that connect the pan to the cover but I don't think there is any reason you can't pull the bolts in the front of the pan then the cover but I will have a for sure answer tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay from my findings. The 06 actuator appears to work I have a few codes but is believe them to be unrelated. The truck starts and runs smooth. Also. After further review I don't see a reason the drop the oil pan entirely to get the front cover off. They don't over lap. The 3 front bolts of the oil pan go into the front cover so if you are tackling a timing job I would try taking the front 3 pan bolts out and pry out and up on the front cover. It should come out. After I run with this actuator for a while I will have an update but I would've loved to make 4,000 for this job it is without a doubt a job lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nice! Most excellent!

Yeah - this is a long job, which is why its one of those "while you're in there" events where you want to take care of everything since you don't want to do this again. I'd want to drop the pan to get to the oil pickup and clean the pan itself. Also, to properly reseal the pan to the cover/engine, you really need to have the pan out to get the old rtv off.

Congrats! And thanks for taking the risk on the 06 cam phasor - that opens up the availability of the part and reduces the cost significantly to anyone needing to do this (e.g. "me").

Ken

·
Registered
521 Posts
The head is on the timing chain will be in tomorrow and hopefully definitive answered tomorrow evening such as I am questioning whether you actually have to drop the oil pan to pull the timing cover there are bolts that connect the pan to the cover but I don't think there is any reason you can't pull the bolts in the front of the pan then the cover but I will have a for sure answer tomorrow
I haven't done this job (yet), but I believe there are bolts within the pan (not just the pan attachment bolts) that need to be accessed for the front cover.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe you drop the oil pan so you can unbolt the oil pump pickup front bolt from the front timing cover. I think the oil pump is in the front cover.
Luck

Reactions: Kenzen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay from my findings. The 06 actuator appears to work I have a few codes but is believe them to be unrelated. The truck starts and runs smooth. Also. After further review I don't see a reason the drop the oil pan entirely to get the front cover off. They don't over lap. The 3 front bolts of the oil pan go into the front cover so if you are tackling a timing job I would try taking the front 3 pan bolts out and pry out and up on the front cover. It should come out. After I run with this actuator for a while I will have an update but I would've loved to make 4,000 for this job it is without a doubt a job lol
Any updates?

·
Registered
301 Posts
In for an update, does it run??

21 - 36 of 36 Posts