Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, guys...But I'm looking at these wheels hard:

Here's the ad info: "Selling four "one of a kind" rims and tires off my 2001 GMC Yukon.
Tires are used 265/70/17s.
Rims are Elite 17"Tall x 9"Wide chrome six star GM 6 lug mags with center caps and lug nuts
I've never seen a set like them."

I have a stock, 2007 Canyon Z85 Extended Cab.
Thanks to all you experts, I am already aware of the necessity of boring the hubs. And, I'm pretty certain that I'd have to run a smaller tire. What's really holding me back is the 9" width.
How much smaller of a tire would I have to get? I do not like anything about low profile tires.
I know somebody is going to ask about offset - and I can't answer it. The above is all the information I have at this point. Seller is out of town and I wanted to consult the wizards prior to pursuit.
Almost forgot to mention that there will be a 2/2 or maybe a 2/3 drop in my hopefully not too distant future...
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
An important part of the equation is the offset of the wheel to know that it will even work now, or after lowering.

Just go with the assumption that the truck is lowered...no sense in getting a smaller tire now to fit stock then having that too large once lowered. If lowering is for sure, a good idea is to get the tires sized for your lowered Z85.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
The width of the rim has nothing to do with the height of the tire unless your real close to rubbing. I'd say it's close to stock offset by looking at them. You'll just have to figure out what size tire to run. Which if you find out the offset I'm sure some lowered guys can tell you what you can run with 2" drop in the front.

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright...it's gettin' serious.
Supposed to meet the lady this weekend to check these out. Any more offerings of advice/opinions?
What I'm thinking is, just getting smaller tires on those rims. Is that feasible?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Best guess....

You need a 255/60-17 tire to fit under the fenders. That is nearly an inch taller than stock. You might get lucky with a 65 series....I don't know for certain. The 9" wide wheel is going to require the wider tire though. To be certain though, find a tire you like and check out the approved width wheel for the tire you want.

Offset is going to be important.
With a 9" wheel, I suggest no deeper than +15mm (20 is deeper) offset. That will push the wheel outward around 1/4" more than stock (and you will probably need all of that clearance to clear the wider tire selection). Overall, the tire will stick out over 1.5" more than the stock edge of tire.

On the flip side, I might suggest you don't go more shallow than than -10mm (-15 is more shallow). Overall, that will make the tire stick out over 2.5" further than stock.

The offset should be cast into the wheel, on the inside.

Use this calculator or one similar to help you understand the offsets if you need the visuals.
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool site you linked, thanks!
Yeah, still won't know the offset until I see the wheels live in concert...Feel pretty certain that the little ol' lady that I'd be buying from would know less about offset than I do. haha

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
From the website - "Rims up to 23x9.0".
eta: 255/60R17 ( 738x255, 29.1x10.0 )
Correct size for Canyon 2WD. Tires are 19 mm taller than OEM.
Looks like I'm good to go.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The offset is likely cast into the inside of the wheel.

Use the numbers as a guideline of a min/max. If you see a stamp of +30 for example...walk away as they won't fit (as far as I know).

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, they're mine now.
Never found an offset on the inside...BUT, they fit like a dream! Didn't even have to bore them out!? Weird...
I'll get better pics tomorrow, but these will have to do for now:

Win!

Test fitting the 265/70-17's

See that little bolt/screw holding up the air dam?
Yeah...

Dude at the tire shop hooked me up all proper with some uber-cheap 235/60-17's just so I could have something for now. $140 bux with a free serving of mount; balance; install AND lug nuts! Thanks, dude!

They're certainly not the coolest rims on the planet, but they're cooler than what I had on! haha And I like 'em, dammit. They're different. Maybe the lack of 20+ inches and the fact that they are not the coolest rims on the planet will help with not waking up to find my truck on blocks...(I live in a ghetto and don't have a garage) First World Problems, I know....:(
All you chrome haters can keep on hatin' and I'll just keep on shining. lol

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You scared me. I thought your picture showing the clearance to the valance rivet was with the 265 tires. I was like...no way man.

·
Low Speed, High Drag
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You scared me. I thought your picture showing the clearance to the valance rivet was with the 265 tires. I was like...no way man.
It was! :eek:
Remember they were 265/70...what I have are 235/60.
And, that wheel wasn't straight. I turned the wheel to check the closest points just to have a look-see.

AND, you're right. This set up is so close to stock that there is hardly in difference in anything. According to that handy link you provided, (thanks again btw) even the speedo is almost dead on.
'Cept now they're two inches bigger & chrome. haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts