Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 crew has 130k on her.
I'm from the south, but most winters since I bought my truck new have been in the north.
I'm in Milwaukee this winter..

So I'm considering going in on the group buy for a rear disk kit which I really do want to do, but I'm asking myself just how much more bucks I can justify throwing into a nearly 10-year-old truck.

I don't want to part with it, but I need to know it's got enough life left to justify some things, like that brake conversion.

So I'm planning to put her up on the rack in a few days to see if I can get a feel for whether there's any serious salt/rust damage.
Those of you who've spent much time underneath your 355, do you have any tips for stuff I should give attention to?

Thanks for any and all..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would check out the rear bumper brackets and rear bumper support. I would also look at the trailer hitch if you plan on towing, it may need new bolts, and I replaced all the bolts in the rear bumper assembly. I have an 05 as well and spent a decent amount of time under my truck with por-15 in the fall. The only other thing that had a lot of rust was the driveshafts, but surface rust only. I also replaced all the bolts in the body mounts with my body lift, but some of them wouldn't have lasted long as they were. The my frame was in good shape, and I'm in PA where they use every bit of salt they can get in the winter.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dont know much about the rust side of it (having lived in CA) my whole life, but on my truck at least I always try to make sure all the important bolts are still snug and in good condition. Also look for cracks in the frame, front suspension, and rear suspension components. I have 105xxx miles on mine and cracked an upper control arm not long ago. I would imagine with tons of salt and everything these parts would wear quicker than out here. Looking for any kind of oil leaks is always a good idea too. I would just give it a real good once over, check torque specs, and throughly examine anything that "just doesnt look right". Good luck man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts