Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well long story but i got a dent on the bottom part of my chrome front bumper. i dont know how it didnt mess with the plastic, but its fine. their is a minor scratch on it but im not worried about that, the dent itself is not TO BAD either but since its chrome the distortion of the image its reflecting makes it look worse.

would a ding king or somthing like that work on it with out messing with the finish, or am i looking at having to have a shop do it?

thanks a lot, here are some pics.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But a SS bumper on and be done with it :)

thats later down the road, cant afford it right now. im working 2 part time jobs and rims are the first thing on the list, then a color matched grill, then a SS bumper. but god knows how long it will take to get there!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Your going to want a body mans spoon on that thing, take the bumper off, set the chrome face on some soft scrap wood to avoid scratches. and massage the dent out from the back side, working from the outer area to the centre. Do not use the hammer directly on the bumper or you have hammer whack marks, use a spoon. It doesn't look to have any creased edges so you have a pretty good chance of getting it to look right.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
^ Eh.....sorry, but it's doubtfull that dent will be able to be "worked out" without showing signs of it. Bumpers are thick and it takes alot of force to bang out a dent. It can be done, I do it all the time on painted ones, just wouldn't work on a chrome one. Not to say that it wouldn't look a little better after it was worked out as best as you could get it though....

·
Registered
587 Posts
i disagree josh, with the right tools, a 5lb teflon mallot and a shotbag that dent will come right out. but the operation will require skill that only a experianced bodyman has and the tools will cost more than a good used bumper would. i have hammered out worse on chrome. the 355 bumper is pretty thin so it should come out with little force. the other problem is the crappy chrome that gm uses. it might end up pealing within a year.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so do you think i would be capible of doing it? i have a plethera of automitive knowledge and have done lots of work to lots of cars but never any body work. about how many hours should it take?

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
so do you think i would be capible of doing it? i have a plethera of automitive knowledge and have done lots of work to lots of cars but never any body work. about how many hours should it take?
I help my dad fix a bumper on our old jeep. It wasen't as bad as that but it took a good three hours to make it look "almost" perfect.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
if you end of getting it fixed. Try a chrome shop. Might be cheaper then a new bumper. They can beat it out and just rechrome it for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts