Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my wife a really nice '07 Accord V6 6spd with only 57K and need to replace the tires before winter really starts. The factory 7"X17" alloy wheels are in perfect condition and the original tire size is 215/50R17. These typically have a 7" tread with but she likes fat tires. I'm considering upgrading to 245/45R17's which have an 8" tread width but are less than 1% or .2" taller. The problem is the wheels are 7" wide and the 245's specify 7.5-8.5" wheel width.
To it seems that a little experimentation to find the sweet spot on front and rear tire pressures would be all that is needed. I have used 8" wide tires successfully on 7"X15" wheels for some dirt circle track racing but that was a very different application.
Currently the car is still stock but exhaust and intake mods are coming shortly which should easily make it a sub-14 sec & 100+mph (1/4 mile) car so a little more forward bite would be nice too.
Any tire experts out there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most good tire shops can tell you what you can and cannot get away with. Going down in series from a 50 to a 45 gives you a shorter side wall and a wider cross section. You may not have enough room between the side wall an the inner fender. You will also need to be aware of the overall diameter. Once you change that you will change the settings in the engine management (PCM or Ecm). If you don’t then things like the shift points in the transmission, speedometer, odometer and other things will be out of wack.

Making changes in newer cars is not for the faint of heart.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Using this website: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
The difference in circumference between the two is only 6", so computer problems shouldn't be a problem at all. The overall width of the stock tire is 8.5" and the wider tire has an overall width of 9.6". I think you're right on watching tire pressure to prevent center wear, but I think your biggest problem will probably be rubbing somewhere.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually its .6" bigger circumference or 1% larger in diameter which will be less than 1% of speedo error. Its a 6 speed manual so no changes there. The tire will be 1/2" wider on the inside and 1/2" wider on the outside which will not present any clearance issues. The only potential problems left would be reduced tire life or less tire performance from the slightly too narrow wheels which is exactly why I'm seeking help. I am more than willing to compromise a little tire life and MPG because the fat tires will look so great and it will have more traction. I think I just convinced myself to do this thing but still need to finalize on a tire brand.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry Russ, that little decimal point makes a lot of difference! When I need tires, I go to tirebuyer.com. Lots to choose from and great prices and they ship quickly to your local tire shop and have special contracts with them for the install. Bought tires for my Colorado a few months ago and they were delivered to my local Firestone store in 2 days. I received a text letting me know they shipped, and another letting me know they were delivered. I called Firestone and scheduled the install. Tires were $85/ea. and the mount/balance/dispose was $68 plus tax paid to Firestone. I got a text two days later letting me know that they had included emergency roadside coverage for free and asking if everything was to my satisfaction.
Check them out, I've used them for my last 3 tire purchases. Very pleased. Wide selection of all brands of tires. Great specials at times.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OldGuy, I will be doing a road trip in my 355 to the Carson City/Reno area to deliver a used 30HP electric motor to my friends shop, picking up the 4.30 gear disc brake posi Rodeo rear axle he found for me, and will probably pick up 8 or 12 tires (Acord, truck, & car trailer) at the Tire Rack warehouse while i'm there. Still need to make the final decision on what to use on the Accord and whether to keep using the Firestone Destination LE2's on the truck. I'm a bit disappointed with the Firestones.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's pretty convenient. I actually went with a recommendation from one of my sons (I have 3) on these tires and got "Ironman" All Country A/T. He's used them on his trucks for years and has been very pleased with them. He said he gets great performance and they last a long time. They're not for long highway trips, but grip well and aren't incredibly noisy. Just looked at my purchase online and they were actually discounted to $77 since I got 4. I was considering just getting 2, but my Cooper Discovery A/T's were in worse shape than I thought, and I didn't like them anyway. I hate buying tires from China, but I do like to save a few bucks. Great tires so far!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts