Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans is going out and my buddys shop quoted me 1000 to fix it... Well since im broke i was wondering how hard it is to just drop the trans myself and take it over to him.. If anybody has done this can you gimme som insight on dropping it...thanks

Jim

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im rebuilding it...my buddy took his 4l70e out of his truck with like 10000 miles on it and put a 4l80e in...all the internals drop right into the 60 so im taking all of his brand new internals for free

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
sweet, im sure it wouldn't be too hard to drop the tranny... lmao i have no experience so my opinion is really nothing. lol
how many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just hit 90,000. I didnt think it would be to hard just wanted a little input

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine would have laster longer but i towed a 00 trans am from atlanta to chicago...and buy buddies 07 tahoe across town...i guess the trans didnt like that...you trans should last longer

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
its pretty easy to take out if you have the right tools. if you half way know what your doing it shouldnt take long.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah but if it isnt all that bad it should save me alot of money....im poor

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Well you have a Z71 so that already makes it easier than other trucks ;)
Depends on how you look at it. If he's 4wd then he'll have to deal with the t-case and everything associated with it. Removing the trans from a 2wd would be much easier. I could probably have mine out in ~2 hours without any help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinkin the same thing with the transfer case.... i dunno if someone on here tells me its no that bad then ill do it myself but if someone told me its a straight pain in the ass then im not

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, and have the right tools you should be fine. It's not an extremely complicated job, just a PITA because everything is big/heavy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
yeah brakenit is right, it is not that hard of a job, a little time consuming, but it can be done at home, just make sure to do it as safe as possible. use jack stand and a good floor jack and you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Damn 90k and the trans took a dump?

Did you ever change the fluid?

Do you have an aux cooler for the trans fluid?

I'm guessing the towing and rims + mild abuse (we all bang on em every once in a while) probably caused to issue. I wouldn't drop it myself theres a lot of fluid in a trans and before you do anything you need to think about what to do with the waste fluid.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
There are places you can take waste fluids. The town I work in has a waste oil container at their recycling center.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
There are places you can take waste fluids. The town I work in has a waste oil container at their recycling center.
Right, is trans fluid a universal waste fluid? I would think it'd need special disposal but i'm just assuming so I may be an ass ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Right, is trans fluid a universal waste fluid? I would think it'd need special disposal but i'm just assuming so I may be an ass ;)
im pretty sure it is. if we can throw engine oil in there im sure we can throw trans fluid in there also.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts