Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do some simple bolt ons for now. I was thinking about ordering the volant CAI. I have always used kand n however the volant is cheaper and looks like it does a better job of keeping engine heat away from intake. Also I am thinking about getting a power programmer. Has anybody used these on a i5?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No experience with them, but IMO if you're doing the mod for performance increase, just save your money. They've been proven to do not much, if any increase, and some even decrease performance. If you're doing it for the look or sound, then that's fine, but these "cold air intakes" don't do crap for feeding cold air into the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Volant is one of the preferred CAIs so good choice there. Programmers are only available for '08 and up I think. I would just get the pcm tuned

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
No experience with them, but IMO if you're doing the mod for performance increase, just save your money. They've been proven to do not much, if any increase, and some even decrease performance. If you're doing it for the look or sound, then that's fine, but these "cold air intakes" don't do crap for feeding cold air into the engine.
What does that mean, in terms of how other aftermarket CAI's are better?

OP, you already have a CAI-they come stock. In terms of the actual meaning of CAI.

Research the products for sure, and look at graphs if there are any provided. Notice when power gains are achieved. If it says it has 12hp more at 5200, ask yourself if you drive all day at 5200 RPM.

Then notice the RPM range that you do drive, 3000? and see what the power gains there are there. Often, people will experience power loss in low RPM range, like off idle for example.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have had the K&N intake FIPK and has worked good in my application,but now with towing a travel tralier I find it gets a but noisy when climbing big hills.

I just got my volant air intake this week,so once the truck is out of the body shop I will give it a try. I got the one with the power core filter which has sometimes caused a check engine light. So if you are ordering one just get the oiled filter.

Or if you want to wait till I get mine on and let you know if I have any issues.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am looking to do some simple bolt ons for now.......Has anybody used these on a i5?
simple bolt-ons for what? Looks, performance, car shows?
"cold air intakes" don't do crap for feeding cold air into the engine.
this guy has no clue what he’s talking about
. I would just get the pcm tuned
this will be your best bang for your buck. Exhaust, good air cleaner, spark plugs, ECM tune, ported throttle body.. will get you good power increase. Look up SUPERMODULATION he can set you up with everything you need and for a good price..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i noticed the ported throttle body on here. I understand that he's a known member but wow thats a lot of dough for what it is. Has anybody used it? What kind of gain can you realistically expect?

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
i noticed the ported throttle body on here. I understand that he's a known member but wow thats a lot of dough for what it is. Has anybody used it? What kind of gain can you realistically expect?
His exchange with core runs $100 ...that's cheaper or equivalent to a CAI. :shrug:

|mobile|

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
look in to the E-Fan mod, its one of my favorite mods done to the engine.

Also, headers make a world of a difference on these trucks, specially with a proper tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts