Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering airbags. I have a 4x4 crew cab canyon.anybody have experience with them. What is a good one? How expensive. How do they perform on road and off? How long do they ladt? I have heard of them poping

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with bags? Lift, lower, towing? There are too many answers to the questions you asked without narrowing down what you are wanting to do.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I dont know a damn thing about lifting a truck with air ride, but I will tell you that investing in good air management (valves, comps, fittings, ect...) goes a long way. It also adds up quick $$$. Buy cheap components and it will be nothing but a headache. As far as bags popping, most of the cases I have heard of is because some nut case over-inflates them or the bag itself doesn't have clearance and gets a weak spot worn in it, causing it to blow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have an air bagged Colorado that lays out. The rear bolt on air bag kit is for mainly towing purpose to keep the truck from squatting in the rear. As for it lifting or lowering I don't think it will do much of either. Depending on the setup I guess. As far as bagging the whole truck. It's crazy expensive. But let me know if I can help in anyway

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
A lift for what purpose? Offroad clearance? Lowered look on the road?

Are you trying to use helper bags with existing suspension or to replace?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...107047476-4-link-airbag-question-s_61gmc-.jpg

there are plenty of lifted trucks with air-ride instead of coil-overs. Kelderman.com makes great kits with like 30 inches of lift.
They ride fine, drive fine, don’t pop if installed correctly, and work great. If bags ‘popped’ all the time, every big rig, bus, and cement trucks wouldn’t have them installed.
Google airbag 4x4s lots of info on the net.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...107047476-4-link-airbag-question-s_61gmc-.jpg

there are plenty of lifted trucks with air-ride instead of coil-overs. Kelderman.com makes great kits with like 30 inches of lift.
They ride fine, drive fine, don’t pop if installed correctly, and work great. If bags ‘popped’ all the time, every big rig, bus, and cement trucks wouldn’t have them installed.
Google airbag 4x4s lots of info on the net.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
You'd have to do some considerable work to convert from your torsion bar front suspension to a coil-over set-up if you wanted air all the way around.

I'm still curious what your ultimate goal for the air bags would be -- you mention lift, do you want to have additional clearance off-roading? Kind of like the VW Touareg?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like a little clearance yet ability to go back down for street use. A way to get best of both worlds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts