Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black 2008 Canyon SLE Offroad and i think plastic/chrome combination on the bumbers can be seriously improved. Im thinking of getting a roll of gloss black wrap from vvivid to go over the front and rear bumpers, and maybe even do the chrome grill. This way, they'll look like they were color-matched from the factory.
Has anyone else done this to these trucks? Im slightly concerned it might look goofy, but the colorado Xtremes with the paint-matched bumpers look sick, so im optimistic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m about to do the same thing to mine. actually just got my vinyl from vvivid today. I think a lot of people ditch the chrome on their bumpers by either painting, wrapping or dipping. You talking about doing just the chrome part right? I’m pretty sure that vinyl won’t stick to the textured plastic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m about to do the same thing to mine. actually just got my vinyl from vvivid today. I think a lot of people ditch the chrome on their bumpers by either painting, wrapping or dipping. You talking about doing just the chrome part right? I’m pretty sure that vinyl won’t stick to the textured plastic.
I would like to get the whole bumper, but yeah I was worried about the vinyl sticking. Maybe something like Superwrap spray might be better, the pictures and reviews look excellent.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Last year i bought replacement primed front and rear bumpers and had line x applied to them. More of a permanent application though. Im glad to have gotten rid of the chrome bumpers well i still have them in my garage if anyone's interested in them. Fyi nothing spray applied to chrome will last. Will eventually peel away.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
I wrapped the front bumper of my black Xtreme with gloss black 3M vinyl. I looks great in bright sun. However, the late afternoon sun will reveal the color difference between the pure black vinyl and the black factory paint that has a slight brown tint to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year i bought replacement primed front and rear bumpers and had line x applied to them. More of a permanent application though. Im glad to have gotten rid of the chrome bumpers well i still have them in my garage if anyone's interested in them. Fyi nothing spray applied to chrome will last. Will eventually peel away.
do you have pictures of that? that's something i've considered too, but I have no clue how it will look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wrapped the front bumper of my black Xtreme with gloss black 3M vinyl. I looks great in bright sun. However, the late afternoon sun will reveal the color difference between the pure black vinyl and the black factory paint that has a slight brown tint to it.
Did you originally have the chrome strip on the top of your bumper? and did you remove it before wrapping? The vinyl wrap from 3M or vvivid would look great but im also worried about how hard it is to PROPERLY install.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Did you originally have the chrome strip on the top of your bumper? and did you remove it before wrapping? The vinyl wrap from 3M or vvivid would look great but im also worried about how hard it is to PROPERLY install.
I had an Xtreme with a factory painted bumper cover

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really like the linex coated bumper and bull bar! I despise chrome myself, far too gawdy for my tastes.
Another great coating that I like to use is Monsta-liner. It is a bed liner that is intended to be rolled on, but I use a simple undercoating spray gun and adjust the air pressure to get the desired sized surface texture.
Chromed bumpers can be painted but the surface must be lightly blasted to give the primer something to adhere to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts