Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some major help, I'm at my wits end with my truck now, for about a year I've been dealing with malfunctioning door locks. I have a crew cab and only my drivers door power door lock works. All the rest don't. Now I know there are threads, and I've read through pages and pages, but to no avail. All my windows work correctly. But only my drivers door lock will function. I've reset the bcm many times, gotten a new battery, new drivers door switches, all the back lights on every door works correctly, my fuse is good. What the hell am I missing?? I'm seriously ready to just throw a brick at my truck and buy a full size.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
366 Posts
i kno when my switches went out kinda like what you are sayin it was due to the clamps on the batt term. put new clamps on to get a snugger fit and haven't had problem since :shrug:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i kno when my switches went out kinda like what you are sayin it was due to the clamps on the batt term. put new clamps on to get a snugger fit and haven't had problem since :shrug:

I've actually got brand new ones on mine because I needed a different style so I could hook up my subs

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Have you tried fixing the two common ground points (under air box, and behind abs module)? If you are having your BCM needing reset a lot grounds will cause that. Those two grounds caused my truck to lose all electronics while driving and then they would come back online, and then shut back off. Cleaned the grounds and now it doesn't do that anymore.

Just a suggestion, hopefully it helps!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, but I actually just had to do that, lost my blower motor and it ended up behind because one of those grounds was bad, so they have both been cleaned

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Can you manually lock the front passenger door and then unlock it with the remote? Does the driver's door lock from the front passenger door lock switch? I'm looking at the wiring diagram and trying to rule out one of the circuits. There are two unlock relays in the driver's door module. One for the driver's door and one for the rest of the doors. However, there is only one lock relay for all doors. The fact that the driver's door locks, indicates that everything is good to that point.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cannot operate my passenger door lock with the key fob, only the drivers door, and I can even lock and unlock the drivers door with the passenger door switch

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Okay, just to be clear, if you manually lock the passenger door using the button by the inside handle, the remote will not unlock it? I understand the passenger door switch will operate the driver's door only. That's a plus. I'm trying to confirm the condition of the passenger door lock actuator circuit. Do you have a multimeter?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes what you said is correct

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App and yes I also have a multi meter but I am embarrassed to tell you I don't know how to use it..... Haven't been through my basic electricity class at my a&p school yet

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
It appears that there is a break in the wiring, in a spot that affects the three passenger door locks. The lock signal (for all doors) comes from the lock relay in the driver's door module. That wire goes to the connector that is located in the hinge area of the driver's door. The wire for the driver's door lock actuator goes from that connector, back to the driver's door lock. That part of the circuit is good. The wire for the other three doors goes through the connector at the driver's door hinge and then to a splice near the accelerator pedal. At that splice, the wire separates for the three passenger doors. It appears that the break would be between the connector at the door and the splice pack. In order to further troubleshoot, without major disassembly, would be by use of a multimeter. Gaining access to the connector in the door hinge area is not a fun job, so it would be a good idea to narrow down the possible problem area before "ripping and tearing".

A broken wire, in the hinge area, in the unlock circuit could also cause the problem as that circuit becomes the ground for the locking circuit.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found the problem last night, had to remove my drivers door, but the magic pink wire was broke in half, got that repaired and they are all working again, furthermore fixing my door locks made my check engine light go away. before they were fixed i had a code ECM/PCM failure, and now its gone, truck is running a lot better as well. we should really get something about that stickied so it can be found to fix in the future.

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
Okay, just to be clear, if you manually lock the passenger door using the button by the inside handle, the remote will not unlock it? I understand the passenger door switch will operate the driver's door only. That's a plus. I'm trying to confirm the condition of the passenger door lock actuator circuit. Do you have a multimeter?
This is exactly what mine is doing. I had given up on fixing this thing until recently. I was just about to go through the wiring that goes through my passenger door, but after reading this thread, I think I'm screwed up. Electrical stuff is definitely not my strong suit by any means. And I'm not sure why I do, but I do have a cheap multimeter from Harbor freight lol. I had no problems with my passenger lock until after I had my sound system installed. And the guy is no longer i business and has moved away. I would buy you a cheap plane ticket to come to Oregon to fix this damn thing lol.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is exactly what mine is doing. I had given up on fixing this thing until recently. I was just about to go through the wiring that goes through my passenger door, but after reading this thread, I think I'm screwed up. Electrical stuff is definitely not my strong suit by any means. And I'm not sure why I do, but I do have a cheap multimeter from Harbor freight lol. I had no problems with my passenger lock until after I had my sound system installed. And the guy is no longer i business and has moved away. I would buy you a cheap plane ticket to come to Oregon to fix this damn thing lol.

It's probably the same as mine, pull your drivers door off (not the passenger) and look for the pink wire I think it's was, that wire is broken, I just soldered in a little jumper retention and bam! It all works again

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah inside that rubber boot, you have to take the drivers door off then slide the boot back. At least that's what I had to do in order to get enough room

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sorry to chime in late but just for future reference.

You can use a grounded wire and tap the pink (for unlock) green (for lock) to trouble shoot continuaty. The wires can be traced from the door, driver side kick panel harnesses, under the datchboard all the way to the passenger kick panel junction relay center.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The schematics for the 2004 door locks don't show a pink wire. The wire that would most likely cause the same problem that Alex had, is gray. That's according to the Service Manual schematics, which could be in error.

The wire will be in the smaller (9 pin) connector.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The schematics for the 2004 door locks don't show a pink wire. The wire that would most likely cause the same problem that Alex had, is gray. That's according to the Service Manual schematics, which could be in error.

The wire will be in the smaller (9 pin) connector.
cart7881 thanks for the correction; I just checked my notes and on my 05 crew cab I have Lock (light blue) and Unlock (dark blue). Keep in mind that there are (2) of each on each harness, you'll hear the lock triggering when you get the right ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts