Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. i got an 09 crewcab.

want to keep the factory head unit.

already have an alpine 300w 4chan amp and a kenwood excelon flat 12.

was hoping to keep those seprate and run those off two speaker wires, but am open to suggestions.

now for the question.

i want to replace my door speakers with components(all 4).

am totally ignorant about components.

whats my best plan?

i know most speakers will be underpowered by using the stock hu.

do yall know of any speakers that i could use?

do i need to buy an amp for the doors and run it off the speaker wires?

i dont know shit about stereo stuff except hooking up head units.

what would you do?

im open to all configurations that keep the stock hu.

and please, type like youre talking to a 5yo.

i need it.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really dont want to trash this thread with bullshit.

this shits already confusing enough to me as is woody...

·
Premium Member
8,695 Posts
Darek, me and you are in the same boat, I will be listening very carefully in this thread, and it will be informative.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
I used the Rockford Prime 5 1/2" speakers, also my head-unit is a 52x4 and they sound great and can keep up with my JL 12w6v2.

as for the sub use an adapter which ties into the speaker channel but gives you audio outputs for the amp

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
that dosnt help me even in the slightest bit sir.

i already know how to use speaker wire to run the sub.

i just put that info out there so yall could see what parts i already have in case yall knew a different way to use them...

not trying to be rude fixx

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
I would say I would think It would be easier to run an aftermarket headunit, and run everything that way, BUT!

I guess you could tap the speaker wires and run the RCAs to the amps (one for components, one for subs) But honestly I would think that would be too much for my liking...

In theory, if you tap the front speaker wires for the component amp and the back speaker wires for the sub amp, you should be fine, that is unless there is some stupid GM failsafe that kicks in... :shrug:

P.S. If you are looking for a decent 4 channel amp and a set of components, I have a good setup, they arent cheap cheap, but I'm always up for selling them :thumbup:

And GOOD LUCK!

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
you're asking for a good set of speakers? and then how to hook your amp to the head-unit correct?

that link I edited out was no good but you need a RCA Output adapter, your local radio shack should have one

·
Registered
123 Posts
the alpine 4channel amp can run the door speakers, it will not run your subwoofer. as far as what components to buy, look into alpine's, kenwoods, and Rockford Fosgates. i personally love the sound of kenwood door speakers. you will need another amplifier to run your subwoofer. also as long as you have a RCA inline converter and some RCA splitters(to power both amps) you should be alright.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you're asking for a good set of speakers? and then how to hook your amp to the head-unit correct?

that link I edited out was no good but you need a RCA Output adapter, your local radio shack should have one
i want to run components in all 4 doors with a stock hu and already have i 4chan 300w amp that im using half of for a sub.

thats a simpler way of putting it.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the alpine 4channel amp can run the door speakers, it will not run your subwoofer. as far as what components to buy, look into alpine's, kenwoods, and Rockford Fosgates. i personally love the sound of kenwood door speakers. you will need another amplifier to run your subwoofer. also as long as you have a RCA inline converter and some RCA splitters(to power both amps) you should be alright.
i understand your line of thinking, im just trying to make clear that that amp pushes the sub beautifully.

oh, and the amp i have has a hookup to where it will accept imput from just the speaker wires. dosnt have to run off only rcas....

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so yall are saying to hook up the amp i have to the speaker wires for the door speakers, run the components off that amp, then get a different sub strictly for the amp?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think he's trying to say that you would be better off using the 4 channel amp you have to run all of your door speakers. Then you could get another 2 channel or mono amp to run your sub.
If you run your sub off 2 channels of the amp that you have now then you would only run one set of speakers off of it and you would have to get another amp to run the other set of speakers. I don't know if that sounds confusing or not. :lol:

If you know the model numbers of the amp and sub that you already have it might make it a little easier to point you in the right direction.

·
Professional Shit Stirrer
2,736 Posts
Personally I wouldn't run anything off of the stock head unit because the GM factory piece puts out like >70w and they sound like garbage compared to pretty much anything after market...

My ultimate suggestion, if you're going to keep the stock head unit, is to buy a small dedicated sub amp in the 500w range and two sets of Pioneer Components which are cheap and sound pretty decent. Then rewire the system to feed mids/highs from the 4ch amp. It will be much cleaner and much louder. Not a fan of the factory head unit, but this is basically the same solution we used in my dad's '06 Sierra CC and it sounds pretty good all things considered...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts