Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...I have been doing some thinking and wonder if anyone has some ideas to go along with it. Specifically @Supermodulation with all of his infinite electrical wisdom.

What I am thinking is that I could use a relay to automatically start the truck. I would possibly like to use my alarm button (the little red button that sets off the horn on my remote keyless entry) to start the truck.

Does anyone have any insight onto whether or not this would be possible. I am thinking that the horn button clicks a relay on and off to honk the horn. What if I could steal that signal somehow and use it to start the truck. After all the ignition switch is nothing but a switch right?

I am just looking for some advice or ideas to go along with it. Anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks for anything, other than your negativity.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to Google that VATS term you used. :) Also I am not %100 concerned with range. It would mainly be used while within my house. I could look out the window for feedback. Thanks for the reply.

I know this is somewhat ghetto. I am just brainstorming.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with the longer range. DEI makes an "add on" module for the remote start that I used with my firebird. It takes a pulse to trigger the module (user programmable) and so I wired my door lock button to it and had it trigger when it saw two pulses with in 1 second of each other. So I could hit the lock button twice and start the car. The problem was that the range was still stock and so I'd have to be with in like 50 feet line of sight for it to work. I looked into many options to improve the stock range and couldn't find anyone doing it. By the time you do all the work to improve your range, you might as well just go with a full after market alarm/remote start system.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The problem with your plan is that to start the truck you also must have the ignition on first, then the signal to start.

Yeah, it can be done and it isn't a big deal to do, either technically or cost, but it'll take some knowledge that (since you asked the question) I'd guess you probably don't have.

That is, you would have to build a (simple) circuit to switch the ignition on then tell the PCM to activate the starter.

By the time you do that you may as well just buy a simple low-cost remote start unit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no such thing as a simple low-cost remote start. Not with bypass modules. I also don't want a separate key fob.

Sent from Crashy

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
There is no such thing as a simple low-cost remote start. Not with bypass modules. I also don't want a separate key fob.
What is a bypass module?
Bypass what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a remote start replace your factory key fob (door remote)?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
What is a bypass module?
Bypass what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a remote start replace your factory key fob (door remote)?
You need a way to bypass Passlock.

My Compustar remote starter came with two remotes that replaced my factory key fob. I had a less expensive remote starter on my S10 that required a separate fob for the remote start and used the factory fob for the door locks.

There's no such thing as an inexpensive remote starter. Mine was $600 but is has a 1 mile range and offers 2-way communication. It can also interface with my iphone for unlimited range and tracking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Rich. Yes I would have two options.
1: Have only one key fob that replaces my factory one completely. (Not cheap)
2: Have two key fobs (annoying) and have to use bypass modules for Pass lock.

I don't want to do either. I'm going to look into it. I don't know if it even possible. I just wanted to use the signal from the factory key fob (panic button) to start the engine. If I come up with anything I will post it here.

I do like a 1mile radius. Sounds pretty badass. $600 is too much for me at the moment.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
... I'm going to look into it. I don't know if it even possible. I just wanted to use the signal from the factory key fob (panic button) to start the engine....
I don't know anything about Passlock, but other than that what you're describing is not complicated. It would require fabbing a little circuitry though.

One thing about the Colorado is that you wouldn't need to do much to crank it, since the PCM does the cranking for you in response to the key being bumped.
That part at least is way simpler than most vehicles, where the key directly operates the starter. In other words, to crank the engine the PCM simulates what the driver normally does to crank it until it starts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts