Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short. Freshly built trans from performabuilt took a crap on me for the 2nd time In less than 6 months... They offered me a full refund so I'm returning the trans ASAP, and need to purchase all the parts to do a manual swap... I'm done dealing with the autotragic.

That being said I will be selling my huge B&M trans cooler as well as my autometer trans temp gauge kit, those interested can PM me.

I'm opening this thread to put together a complete list of things to buy and things I need to modify in order to make this work.

So far: Trans with shifter, Console, Pedal assembly with wire, master cylinder,... What else am I missing?

:salute:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Why do the automatics keep breaking and was wondering if the converters any good and for sale?. I believe @gway has or had a 5 speed setup for sale.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The 4L60E is stronger than the 5 speed just so you know, it's rated at about 200ft lbs less input power. You shouldn't have killed a 4L60E in that amount of time putting 1/2 of it's maximum power range to it.

I would guess you have something else going on. Sure that trans cooler doesn't have a blockage and is preventing proper fluid flow, or installed in a way that starves fluid flow? What are you using for fluid and How much are you putting in?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have the trans with shifter, harness for 4x4, flywheel with clutch (which should be replaced), and the console. You'd also need a new PCM or reflash, manual brake pedal assembly or trade with me lol, clutch pedal, and the reservoir that should come with the line. I'd say you'll also need to cut a 1.5"x1.5" hole in your firewall for the clutch cylinder. It doesn't bolt on. It's in the shape of a diamond and you just put it in the firewall and spin. You'd also need to do something with the steering column where it has the auto shifter.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Good luck bolting your tcase up.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The 4L60E is stronger than the 5 speed just so you know, it's rated at about 200ft lbs less input power. You shouldn't have killed a 4L60E in that amount of time putting 1/2 of it's maximum power range to it.

I would guess you have something else going on. Sure that trans cooler doesn't have a blockage and is preventing proper fluid flow, or installed in a way that starves fluid flow? What are you using for fluid and How much are you putting in?

i think it all depends on how you drive and more importantly,... the driving conditions.

Ever since my truck has been built as it is with all the added extra weight im carrying around, ive been having tranny issues.

Ive gone through 3 trans coolers... basically ive put a new one in everytime ive had a trans failure "just because".

Lines checked... I use OEM AC Delco Dexron 6 fluid. I put in the amount the manual calls for which is I believe around 11qts if my memory serves me right. .. and then add about 0.25qts more to compensate for the extra cooler and what not.

call it bad luck if you want, but im done dealing with the 4l60e. Every single other truck i wheel with has a manual trans and none has to deal with all the crap I do... no one ever worries about over heating a trans or what not. fuck comfort... i need reliability. lol

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
My point was if you are killing a 4L60E you are going to kill the AR5 faster, it is a much weaker trans. It is also known to have more problems than a 4L60E. It's an asian designed trans borrowed from isuzu, there's a reason GM stopped offering it after 07'.

Edit: Also did you prefill the convertor before install? That will certainly cause some problems if you didn't. Also the I5's have a different convertor from most 4L60E's so hopefully you and performabuilt were aware of this in the communications when ordering.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My point was if you are killing a 4L60E you are going to kill the AR5 faster, it is a much weaker trans. It is also known to have more problems than a 4L60E. It's an asian designed trans borrowed from isuzu, there's a reason GM stopped offering it after 07'.

Edit: Also did you prefill the convertor before install? That will certainly cause some problems if you didn't. Also the I5's have a different convertor from most 4L60E's so hopefully you and performabuilt were aware of this in the communications when ordering.
I understand where you are coming from. And all your points are valid. But to me the simplicity of a manual trans (less electronics, less parts to fail internally, etc) is what makes it attractive to me. Believe me, I love my auto trans, when it works... but im just tired of dealing with it every time something goes wrong.

Performabuilt was very aware of the different converter, it was one of the first things he brought up when I was purchasing the trans.

The AR5 from Aisin / isuzu is the same manual trans that comes here in Venezuela in all the Isuzu Luv D-Max trucks, ive seen them go to hell and back in those trucks and never even heard of trans issues.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You'll gut the stock clutch before the trans takes a shit.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to upgate a little on this, Ive now been running the 5 speed trans for more than 3 months, deff. put it through its paces... and everything works and feels great. I was even able to get a custom tune using HP-tuners and the truck feels better than ever. My only regret is not doing it the 1st time the 4L60E crapped on me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That's awesome! I know people like to bash the MA5, but has anyone ever broke one? I kind of doubt it. The world is littered with dead 4L60s though. Nice swap. Glad it's working out!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
So I'm going to do an Auto to 5 spd swap too. (2wd, CrewCab, ZQ8)

- I only have one question........ the wiring for the MA5(speed sensor and reverse), is it already down there. I know the wiring for the clutch pedal is tucked up under the dash.
- ALSO, can you retain the same driveshaft...... everything looks like I can use my current one

- I have the pedals(brake & Clutch), sensors, clutch master cylinder and picking up the trans on Monday.
- I need to order a new clutch kits, flywheel, flywheel bolts, hydraulic clutch line, clutch slave cylinder, new e-Brake cables, bell housing bolts, transmission mount, steering column cover

I will have James reflash my PCM

I also have a buyer for my 4L60e and all of the add ons, I might try and do this before winter

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trans mount is same as the Auto, e-brake cable stays the same as well...

not sure about the speed sensor, on the 4wd the speedo reads off the transfer case.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think the MA5 can handle more than people think. I've had all good experiences with my 5 speed. Did you need a custom bell housing to mate to the 3.7? I thought I read somewhere it wasn't just a straight swap.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You'll gut the stock clutch before the trans takes a shit.
Here here, clutches are far cheaper and easier to replace than an 4L60 trans rebuild or outright replacement. Still rolling with my original MA5, I replaced my clutch about roughly 41,000 miles ago but it was due.(currently 141,000 something miles on the clock) I took the option to buy all my parts separately(hooray for ebay haha) and then got the work done a month or two later which split the cost over a period of time and was far easier financially than one huge dent to the wallet. Blah, hearing some of the repair stories like this and finding out the total costs of an 4L60 repair/replacement make me cringe... :ugh:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I picked the transmission up today, started cleaning up and removed the old slave cylinder.

I ordered a new Hurst shifter and SPEC Stage 1 clutch today too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts