Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crew cab 4x4 with the 4l60e auto trans and im having problems with the trans not shifting into 4th gear. It is only doing this when the truck as been sitting for 8 oro hours either when I start it up in the morning or when I get off of work it does this. It will hold onto 3rd gear until it the truck gets up to temp and then it willshift into 4th gear. It isn't shifting hard nor does it slip out of gear. It just willnot go into 4th until the truck gets up to operating temperature. After the truck reaches running temp the trans operates flawlessly. The truck has 105k miles on it and 3 months ago I did a fluid and filter change on the tans. The fluid that was removed was still red and there was no need for alarm there. Also I added some sealrestore to the new fluid I put back in.
Please if you have any suggestions as to why my trans is acting this way I am open to all suggestions as to how to fix the problem.

Thanks and all help and advice is appreciated.

Brad,
Lancaster, SC:355group:

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
The trans is cold :shrug: it's supposed to be like that. Fluid is too cold n thick that it doesn't build up the right pressure to shift. That's normal.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
^^^what he said

Also the seal restore probably thickens the fluid a little bit more to coat the seals so that may be part of it. You could trying pumping some of the fluid out and throwing some fresh fluid it just to dilute out some of the seal restore to see if that's the issue

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is not with the converter . The problem is with the shift between 3rd and 4th gear. The converter locks up after the trans is in forth. The trans isn't making it to forth until the fluid gets warm. This thaw been happening for about a week now and I've had this truck for 2 years now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's say you live right on the interstate and everymorning you have to drive it to get to work. So for the past week my truck decided to fix itself by staying in 3rd gear for 5-8to minutes running 70 mph and turning 3000 rpms until the trans heats up.. I have had this truck for2 years and you are telling me thatseven days ago the truck decide d to fix itself after being broken after 6 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the help I can get but if you haven't experienced this problem first hand or know some who has PLEASE STOP GUESSING.
I mean no harm!

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
No need to be a dick. the average person won't notice a difference between 3 rd and a loose convertor in od....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not being a dick. What im looking for is not a bunch of good guesses. Head down the interstate and pull your your shift lever from drive down into 3rd and that is what my truck is doing. It isn't going in to 4th. It is holding 3000rpms at 70the mph. And when you let off the gas at this speed stick in third gear the truck a ts as if you were down shifting to slow down. The truck ant going into forth gear well after it is suppose to. This is the problem.
T
Again, what I am looking for is someone who has really experienced this before and what they did to fix i.

Im sorry you think im being rude but this is a real problem and im asking real questions to find real answers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my truck does the same thing. i was told its a emissions thing. i have noticed it for awhile now. it seems to be for about 4 or 5 miles or so. i havent had any problems at all with my tranny. i just rolled over a 100,000. it only happens in the fall/winter time. summer time i have no problems. i was told it was common for them to do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any engine codes. I just go a new one. It was telling me about manifold absolute pressure range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i dont know what you wanna call it but the only code it is throwing deals with the gas cap not sealing right. the same thing happened to the coly i had before this one. i havent had any code for that pop up. mine has been shifting like this for awhile now tho and havent had any problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I don't get is that last year when owe had over a foot of snow. Thisdid not happen at all. Somthing has changes with my truck between now and then and it is driving me crazy. There has to be a way to fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im not really sure. im not so good with auto trannys. im sure there is someone on here that maybe has had this problem and fixed it. hopefully someone will chime in with an answer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sure hope some one chimes in. Now there is two of us. Now I know im not crazy. I can't just let this problem get the best of me. I can't live with this. It is driveingme crazy.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
I just drove mine and its 30 degrees outside and it wouldn't shift into 4th until warmed up. 82k that's normal.

·
Nation Affiliate
11,170 Posts
Mine does the SAME thing and its got 75K on the clock. Its NORMAL. I drive my truck on a 55mph two lane for anywhere from 5 to 10 miles before it goes into gear and its been like that since 25K

·
Est. 1992
2,306 Posts
same here, i have an 2004 3.5 with 65k mi and i hop on the highway (literally less than 60 seconds from my driveway) at 7am every cold morning and get the same response... :shrug:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
.then i don't understand. My truck has never done this before. EVER! I have had the truck for over two years now. Last year when it snowed 14 inches it has never acted like this. Then all of a sudden one morning it dosent act the way it always has acted. I can understand it the truth has acted like this from day one but for me it definitely has not. Im trying to get to the bottom of it. If you guys say that this is normal then how come this has just started for me. I just don't get why if this is normal then why is it just now starting to act like this. Im sure it is somthing I can grow to live with but somthing is causing the tyranny to shift in a different manner than before and I am determined to figure it out.

Thanks for the replies and continue to chime in with your experiences.one way or another I will get this fixed. And when I do I will post what I did to fix my problem.

Please fell free to continue with your thoughts and ideas.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts