Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate that our power windows only have auto down on the driver side and don't have auto up. What would it take to add this feature? Is it in the switches themselves of does something else cause it to do it?

Thoughts, ideas or ever smart ass remarks are welcomed. Thanks

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Re: Auto up and down?

I agree Jesse

I know in my 92 Talon Tsi it was a simple mod to make it work.

But who knows what kind of chaos this would cause with the BCM

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So it wouldn't be as simple as just replacing the switch then? I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

Not sure, but there's probably a switch or position sensor on the driver's window at the bottom position to tell the BCM when the window is fully down.

If so, when in auto-down mode the BCM runs the window in that direction until it receives the input from the sensor.

For auto-up you would need at minimum a sensor to "see" when the glass is at the top.
(which could be mounted at the bottom of the glass, which would be easier than trying to put one at the top)
Then you would either need additional programming in the BCM or a separate control circuit. A separate circuit would be much more practical.

Of course you could just have the control run the window up for a time period (greater than the max time required from bottom) but that would be a bit hard on the mechanism over time.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

So it wouldn't be as simple as just replacing the switch then? I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple.
I don't even want to speculate here. Maybe James would have some insight on this topic
@Supermodulation

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats what I was thinking, thanks Jeremy.

Rick, I have no idea what you just said. :lol:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

One of my fantasy mods includes exactly that, and..

I have a favorite position for the two front windows about 5 inches from the bottom where I can drive at highway speeds and the wind doesn't buffet much.
But then I'm a little OCD about getting both the driver's and passenger side to the same height.

If I ever had time I'd install position sensors at that level also and a button to tell them to both go to that position.
But then, I'd have to either learn to add signals to the buss (to communicate to both window regulators) or be able to run additional wires into the doors.

Stupid, I know and I'll never get there but its something I ponder on long road trips from time to time.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

One of my fantasy mods includes exactly that, and..

I have a favorite position for the two front windows about 5 inches from the bottom where I can drive at highway speeds and the wind doesn't buffet much.
But then I'm a little OCD about getting both the driver's and passenger side to the same height.

If I ever had time I'd install position sensors at that level also and a button to tell them to both go to that position.
But then, I'd have to either learn to add signals to the buss (to communicate to both window regulators) or be able to run additional wires into the doors.

Stupid, I know and I'll never get there but its something I ponder on long road trips from time to time.
Haha, guess I'm not the only to think about this then.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts

Other than the switches, most of the window control, including the auto down, is performed by the logic board in the Driver's door switch module. The logic board monitors the motor armature current. When the window reaches an up or down stop, the current increases and the logic board cuts power to the motor. That is also how the window is stopped if something is trapped in the opening while the window is closing. It will also cause a window to stop moving if the mechanism/glass gets jammed.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Shit, my Tahoe LTZ doesn't have auto up either :hulk:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

Other than the switches, most of the window control, including the auto down, is performed by the logic board in the Driver's door switch module. The logic board monitors the motor armature current. When the window reaches an up or down stop, the current increases and the logic board cuts power to the motor. That is also how the window is stopped if something is trapped in the opening while the window is closing. It will also cause a window to stop moving if the mechanism/glass gets jammed.

Well that makes total sense... and eliminates the need for a (separate) end-of-travel sensor.

That being the case, with the addition of a switch to command it and a little additional circuitry you could do the same for auto-up.
Could possibly mod the existing circuit to sense the stalled current in both directions, else you'd have to duplicate the current sensing circuit for the up direction.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

Shit, my Tahoe LTZ doesn't have auto up either :hulk:
I suspect the manufacturers are squeamish about liability, in case a kid sticks his head into the window and his brother decides it'd be fun to mess with him.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Bump for some more insight on this, or at least some to explain it to me in English. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Autoloc sells these kits...

2 Window One Touch Up And Down Window Unit- (Up AND Down) $80

Add the convenience of "one touch" windows to any vehicle. Fully compatible with any domestic, import, or after-market power window system. Simply tap the switch once and the window with travel all the way up or down.

There's never any need to mount additional switches because AutoLöc's WC2000 works with all factory window switches! The WC2000 may be used with any factory or aftermarket remote control devices to operate your windows by remote, including alarms, and keyless entry unit!

Each system include detailed instructions ensuring easy installation even for the "weekend" mechanic!

One Touch Express Units « autoloc.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
WELL, as usual Rich to the rescue. we need a ask Rich section here.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Well how cool is that?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Any smart ass comments lol. I'm crank and I'll be converting to power windas. I should ask the vender when I buy em if it has the auto up and down within the kit they'll sell me. I'm sure it won't but hell it's worth a shot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They actually make a kit that goes behind the crack so you don't have to figure out what to put in it's place. You just push the crank down to roll down and pull up to roll them up. They make them for the older cars that want to keep the chrome cranks to look stock. I'm sure those will have the same option. I bought them once for my old car but never got around to putting it in, forgot all about this company till Rich brought it up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts