Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo. I had a remote start installed by a local shop and when I got my truck back, my low beams come on during the day, and at night the low beams turn off and the parking lights turn on. The guy that did the install says he didn't cause that. They worked right before I got the remote start installed. Anyone know how I can fix this issue myself?

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
Sooo. I had a remote start installed by a local shop and when I got my truck back, my low beams come on during the day, and at night the low beams turn off and the parking lights turn on. The guy that did the install says he didn't cause that. They worked right before I got the remote start installed. Anyone know how I can fix this issue myself?

Take it back and talk to the owner. Yea you can probably fix it but this should be on their dime. I haven't heard of this issue before, so it's pretty clear the install did this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Take it back and talk to the owner. Yea you can probably fix it but this should be on their dime. I haven't heard of this issue before, so it's pretty clear the install did this.

Yep.

Can't recall that anyone here has ever reported a similar problem.
That does point to your remote install..

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The only thing I would try is pulling the battery terminal and reset the BCM, not saying it's gonna work, but when these BCM's freak out, they have been known to do some crazy stuff. If resetting the BCM doesn't work, then i'd take it back to the installer.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Somebody recently posted a similar situation, but they photocell was covered and the lights were on in the day because the photocell thought it was dark. Of course that would not explain why you are experiencing only running lights in darker situations, but maybe check the photocell to see if it is blocked.

The next thing that comes to my mind is the remote start system triggers the headlight circuit.

If you are starting your truck with the remote start feature it may trip the light circuit but if you start it with the key it will operate per GM's design.

Back in the day, we didn't have DRL or automatic lights at all. My remote start enabled my running lights, but only when started with remote start. Lights would shut of once key was inserted.

What year is your truck.....not to sound rude but you are certain your headlights were not DRL before?
I have to ask only because one threads stated "my lights don't work right". That person never even knew how their truck worked, but assumed. For their model year, it functioned properly.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
He has a 2007. It doesn't appear to be a DRL problem. The DRLs are working correctly in the daytime. The park lights are coming on at night, as they should, indicating the "auto"switch is functioning. What he doesn't have is headlights at night. Maybe the shop "mucked" with the headlight relay/wiring. The DRLs have a separate relay.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You might try just un-plugging the main plug to the remote starter and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it definitely had something to do with the install. Then you've got something to back yourself up when you go to the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts