Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm thinking of turning my 2wd into an AWD. Does anyone know if this has been done by anyone, or if anyone has any input. Anything here would be appreciated.

BTW my truck has the 5 speed manual and I am thinking of using the Borg Warner transfer used in the GMC Syclone.

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts
Ive never heard of it. It should be really cool. DO it and keep up posted!!

·
live like a lion
490 Posts
Well cuz, it would be pretty rad. And certainly a one-off ride.

But, you should have just ordered a 4wd......:roll:
j/k

Do it up!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Good luck. You'll have a hell of a time getting adapters made. Gonna cost.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Would be easier to convert a 4WD to AWD, no?

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts
Would be easier to convert a 4WD to AWD, no?
thats a really good idea. It probably would. Your probably still gonna need some adapters made but it should cut down on the amount of parts youll have to buy.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have a feeling this is just another new member spitting out hopes and dreams onto the keyboard ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was actually thinking of finding a wrecked colorado/canyon 4x4 and getting the front end parts I would need from that. Custom adapters are an issue that will require some attention. Custom drive shafts may also be needed and a friend of mine says he may be able to help me out with that. Right now I'm just trying to get some help finding parts that I will need and pricing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was actually thinking of finding a wrecked colorado/canyon 4x4 and getting the front end parts I would need from that. Custom adapters are an issue that will require some attention. Custom drive shafts may also be needed and a friend of mine says he may be able to help me out with that. Right now I'm just trying to get some help finding parts that I will need and pricing.
Check this out... may be what youre looking for... :shrug:

Someone should buy this!!!!

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
I think the frames are different on the 4wd, unless you have the torsion bar 2wd suspension. The problem with using a 4wd to make an AWD...for me anyway is not having the look of a xtreme or ZQ8. You might be able to install new keys that will let you drop the front around 3" max, and blocks or lower springs for the rear, but then it will still look like shit cause the track with is about 2" wider so the wheels will stick out especially without the huge Z71 flares!

I wonder if you could narrow the front track some how? Maybe the full size front hubs aren't as wide, they appear to share the same four bolt to knuckle pattern..but the abs sensor maybe different? Or maybe you could Mill 1/2" of each knuckle and 1/2" off each inside wheel face, then bolt the hub back on..could be kinda scary..? Or remove the ball joints and grind away more material, then re:drill the holes, narrow the CV joints,...really scary! Is their a simpler way?

Could it be possible to fab up some sort of coil over that could be mounted in a way to clear the axles on the stock ZQ8 suspension, that would allow you to use a 4wd drive hub, axles etc..?

The rear is simple.. but the front seams way to difficult!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I think the frames are different on the 4wd, unless you have the torsion bar 2wd suspension. The problem with using a 4wd to make an AWD...for me anyway is not having the look of a xtreme or ZQ8. You might be able to install new keys that will let you drop the front around 3" max, and blocks or lower springs for the rear, but then it will still look like shit cause the track with is about 2" wider so the wheels will stick out especially without the huge Z71 flares!

I wonder if you could narrow the front track some how? Maybe the full size front hubs aren't as wide, they appear to share the same four bolt to knuckle pattern..but the abs sensor maybe different? Or maybe you could Mill 1/2" of each knuckle and 1/2" off each inside wheel face, then bolt the hub back on..could be kinda scary..? Or remove the ball joints and grind away more material, then re:drill the holes, narrow the CV joints,...really scary! Is their a simpler way?

Could it be possible to fab up some sort of coil over that could be mounted in a way to clear the axles on the stock ZQ8 suspension, that would allow you to use a 4wd drive hub, axles etc..?

The rear is simple.. but the front seams way to difficult!
Don't waste your time any further on this man, look @ the dates. I'm sure this guy has already forgot about his little hopes of having AWD. :thumbup:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Holy old thread!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts