Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im replacing the front axles in my 2004 ext cab tonight as well as putting on some new rotors :th_crazy:. ive read a couple of threads on here regarding the axles and the rotor and hub replacement and noticed people using either a 35mm or a 36mm socket for the axle nuts. I have both sockets at home, and dry fitted them both last night. I couldn't get the 35mm to slip over the nut, but the 36mm seems like it has too much play in it to crack the nuts loose. I realllly don't want to round off the edges on this nut haha. I noticed dents tapped his 35mm onto the nut a little, is this the consensus for these nuts?

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
hmm, i just used one the other day. i think it was 36mm, wasn't a tight fit, but it worked just fine.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Damn it...good thing I didnt order my 35mm socket yet. Maybe I will just rent the sockets this time. Mine have been replaced under warranty a few times already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the axles were swapped about 3 years ago so they're not the OEMs. It felt like the 36 will grip but like I said, to me there just seems to be too much rotational play between points. Its an autocraft impact from advance and the inside corners are sort of rounded (its brand new), and now that I think about it, that could be where the play is coming from. I just wanted to check with you guys since a lot of you have gone through this program already.

thanks for the replies! :salute:

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have the stock, oem axles and my 2009 Extended Cab took a 35mm. Perfect fit. Just go to car quest and buy a 35 and 36. use the one that fits and return the other. That's what I did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they took a 36mm without any trouble. took some persuasion with a 2' breaker bar and a couple minutes with the impact but they broke loose. honestly I had more trouble with the 4 15mm's bolting the knuckle to the hub. After 112,000 miles of western new york salt those bolts were pissed off :anger: snapped my swivel in half in the process then I was pissed off haha.

thanks for the help

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah when I helped Supermod tear his truck down I remember his being 35mm........and his came loose easy......or I'm just a beef cake lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spray with some Kano AeroKroil before you try to bust 'em loose next time. It's works great.

I soaked them with PB blaster. but from what I hear there are better penetrants out there now, such as the aerokroil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
they took a 36mm without any trouble. took some persuasion with a 2' breaker bar and a couple minutes with the impact but they broke loose. honestly I had more trouble with the 4 15mm's bolting the knuckle to the hub. After 112,000 miles of western new york salt those bolts were pissed off 💢 snapped my swivel in half in the process then I was pissed off haha.

thanks for the help
I've learned that the 4 15mm bolts come off easier if you turn the steering wheel. Left for the front 2, right for the back 2 for the drivers side. Probably opposite for the passenger side

1 - 16 of 16 Posts