Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some posts with similar issues but they didn't seem to ever find the exact solution. I had a battery that was going bad (3.5 yrs old). One day when I went to start the truck, it sounded like a pinball machine under the hood as it tried unsuccessfully to fire up.. popping and clicking. I was able to get it to start after I connected the pos and neg terminals together to reset the computer. When I got in to leave, I saw that I had no radio function (also no door chimes). Also the next day I couldn't get the battery to start the truck no matter what I did.

Jump forward to me replacing the battery with a brand new one. I touched the terminals together again to do a reset. At this point the truck fired right up and has every time since ..but now in addition to having no radio, the dash lights would only turn on if I pressed the button under the odometer, or used a turn signal (however, occasionally it will come on like normal when I first crank it).

I checked the obvious stuff like fuses. I assume the one 15 amp fuse is responsible for the radio and the door chimes. I tried a different radio and even replaced the metra adapter, in case that had gotten fried. I still didn't get the chime back. Every other thing about the truck functions like normal. Even the driver window and lock are working (which in my experience is the first sign of a battery/electrical issue).

So is there another fuse or relay somewhere that would be responsible for the dash and radio issues? There's a fuse for the Onstar but that wasn't blown either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you check the fuse in your after market radio itself. It would help to know what year your truck is. Also check the ground junction blocks on the front aprons.
Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So I tested the radio harness and the metra with a multimeter and they're receiving power. I also connected my deck directly to the battery and it powered on.

So then it would probably be safe to say at this point that it's the BCM, correct? Especially considering the dash lights and radio came on automatically when the bad battery tried to start.

Now the threads I've searched have some people saying that you can't program a BCM yourself and some that you can but they seem to always be referring to new ones. Would the exact same model of BCM from a used truck work from just a relearn with the key?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.. so just in case someone in a similar predicament ends up here, I'll keep updating. I was messing with the ground terminal and out of nowhere the chime went off. Of course when I went to start the truck, it just clicked. I reset the bcm and tried to duplicate the scenario and I never could. So then I let the pos and neg sit detached for an hour and tried to do a bcm relearn but the security light never turned off (probably bc the bcm is functioning well enough to still recognize my truck). And it fired right up.

At this point I have to assume that it's the bcm. I'm going to order a used one online and see if a relearn is successful. If not, then I'll return it and figure out a way to bypass the bcm for turning on the radio. I'll lose the chimes but at least I'll have my music back!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts