Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving the truck to go out to eat and I noticed the check engine light was on. So that made me really happy. I get out of the truck and start walking towards the restaurant and I noticed my grille that I just plasti-dipped was smashed, not sure wtf happened to that. I know it is unrelated to the check engine light but ya two things at once to piss me off.

After dinner I went to Auto-Zone to scan for codes. p0302 cylinder 2 misfire. Awesome... I cleared the code, it didn't return on the drive home. I guess I will start by changing spark plugs. I also had several abs codes that I knew were there and I cleared those as well.

Btw: Truck is an 05 with 80,177 on the clock.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Silly question, but should I just go ahead and replace the coil pack while I've got everything apart instead of waiting to see if it comes back?

Also, it seems through searching the Denso Iridium Plugs are the way to go, but I'm open to opinions on this as well.

Also, i felt compelled to check my oil, being all this was going on. It is about halfway up the marks on the dipstick with 4,000 miles since I changed it. I don't think this is really relevant info but I thought I would share it anyway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back. I would probably go ahead and replace it.
You wouldn't want it biting you in the ass being away from your place or on the way to work. Iridiums are the way to go IMO.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Iridium plugs are the only plugs that fire correctly in our trucks IIRC? I read somewhere that double platinums cause our engines to run like ass. I replaced my plugs with ACDelco iridiums, only because I couldn't find the correct Denso iridium in stock locally, and I didn't want to order them and have to wait. From what I've read, Denso's are awesome though so if they're available locally or you don't mind to order them, go for it.

Instead of buying a coil right now, make sure that the #2 cylinder coil is actually bad. To test, it simply swap it with another cylinder's coil. If you get another misfire on cylinder #3, for example, or whatever cylinder you moved the "bad" coil to, then it is indeed the coil. Sometimes my truck misfires just out of the blue or if I get a little bit of bad gas. The winter blend gas is absolutely terrible IMO. Dose your gas tank with some lucas or gumout fuel system cleaner and see what happens.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You wouldn't want it biting you in the ass being away from your place or on the way to work. Iridiums are the way to go IMO.
On this note, am I safe in driving the truck about 100 miles to my parents house? I don't have tools here to do any of this, and I don't want to pay someone to do it. Truck seems to drive like normal. The CEL has not reappeared since cleared.

Iridium plugs are the only plugs that fire correctly in our trucks IIRC? I read somewhere that double platinums cause our engines to run like ass.
I read that 04 and 05 models came with double platinums oem. I was definitely going to go with iridium though as it supposed to perform better. I'm not sure if my plugs are original or not, I bought the truck used with 60k so I assume they are oem.

Sometimes my truck misfires just out of the blue or if I get a little bit of bad gas. The winter blend gas is absolutely terrible IMO. Dose your gas tank with some lucas or gumout fuel system cleaner and see what happens.
Winter gas does suck. I just ran Gumout high mileage fuel system cleaner in my last tank of gas. I usually do it every 3-4000 miles.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Ill get a multiple cylinder misfire code if I let my truck sit and idle for a long period of time. I just let it go away on its own.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
On this note, am I safe in driving the truck about 100 miles to my parents house?

You are perfectly safe. I would drive it if it was mine. Actually, you want to drive it to see if it happens again. It likely won't. Sometimes our trucks just hiccup and that will throw the code. It's happened to mine several, several times and I don't worry about it. My CEL is on right now for a stupid EVAP leak thing and I drive the hell out of it.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Ill get a multiple cylinder misfire code if I let my truck sit and idle for a long period of time. I just let it go away on its own.
Back when I was getting this code, I was freaking out because of the "head horror stories" and come to find out there was a wire that had broken loose off my MAP sensor. I soldered and repaired the broken wire and it's never threw the P0300 again.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Yes you are fine to drive it. I got that code 3 weeks or so ago.. Got it after idling for a few minutes after a long drive. Freaked out at first, but then reset it and pretty much decided that if it goes it goes. Drove it probably 800 miles before replacing coil packs. Not even sure if that was it but got a good deal on a set.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My CEL came back on, so I assume it's the same code. I don't have a scanner to check.

I ordered Denso Iridiums off of Rock Auto last night and I will change my plugs on friday. I will flip-flop the cylinder 2 and 4 coil packs when I change the plugs. I am also going to clean my TB and MAF while I'm in there.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Do you have SuperSparks?

If you do not get with Supermodulation and order you a set. They are barillium copper and replace the stock springs in the coil packs. Will make a world of difference. Being the spring is a weak point.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have SuperSparks?

If you do not get with Supermodulation and order you a set. They are barillium copper and replace the stock springs in the coil packs. Will make a world of difference. Being the spring is a weak point.
I don't have SuperSparks, but they are on my list of things to buy. Assuming it is the coil pack causing the issue, do you think SuperSparks may correct that? I guess it depends what is wrong with it. I don't know much about coil packs or how they work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I drove the truck quite a bit today. CEL was on when I first started the truck, but it turned off before I reached the end of my road. Then proceeded to drive all over gods creation and the CEL did not return. I still plan to change the plugs on Friday.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I changed the spark plugs, cleaned the TB, cleaned the MAF and the truck runs fantastic! What a difference! Much smoother idol and the truck idols a bit lower now. My TB was very dirty, probably never cleaned before.

·
I Vanquish Boredom
1,581 Posts
So I changed the spark plugs, cleaned the TB, cleaned the MAF and the truck runs fantastic! What a difference! Much smoother idol and the truck idols a bit lower now. My TB was very dirty, probably never cleaned before.
I clean my TB at least twice a year. Sometimes 3 times because it's so easy to do. I know I need to clean it when I feel steering wheel vibration when stopped at idle.

·
I Vanquish Boredom
1,581 Posts
I typically SeaFoam my engine every two years (50,000km for me). I usually clean my TB separately with the air filter during the oil change right after the SeaFoam procedure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
CEL is back on. Went to advance auto and it's the same code p0302. Fuck! I guess it's time to get a leak down test. I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from in July. I want to see if they'll run the vin to see if it ever had the head replaced. Like I said, I don't think I'll put a new head in it, I'll just do a 3.7 swap. I know it has to be out of an 07, but can it come out of an 07 H3 because there's one for sale locally with 50xxx miles for $1,500. I might just drive it till it dies. All I can say is I'm pissed off.

Edit: I forgot to mention my uncle and I looked at it. He's a Deisel mechanic so he knows his stuff. He drove the truck, he cannot hear or feel the miss. I don't hear I or feel it either.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts