Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have an '04 extended cab with the 3.5. I get 15 around town and 17 on the highway. I have oversized tires, so my MPG's are actually a bit higher. My speedometer is off by about 5%. When my speedometer reads 60 MPH, my GPS shows 63 MPH. So, If my speedometer is off by 5%, then my odometer is also off by 5%. So instead of 15 MPG, I'm actually getting 15.75 MPG's. Also, it's absurd the number of people that estimate MPG's based on how many miles they get to 1/4 of a tank. That's just dumb! Miles Per Gallon!! Fill your tank, drive a bit then fill it up again. Miles Per Gallon is exactly that!! How many miles did you travel? How many gallons of gas did you use? Miles/Gallon. If you traveled 300 miles on 15 gallons of gas you got 20 miles per gallon of gas. If your tires are smaller than stock, they travel less per revolution than stock, so your Odometer is incorrect since you are not traveling as fast/far as your speedometer/odometer thinks you are.
At 265,000 miles, I'm sure I have some work to do to increase my MPG's, but I don't have a truck payment, I'm usually hauling 5,000 extra pounds of trailer, building materials and tools. I can live with that since the alternative is to buy a bigger and newer truck and have a truck payment. A decent used truck would run about $20,000 these days. I'm content with what I have.

·
2 timer
3,086 Posts
I like how the guy posts a comment on an 8 year old thread....

·
2 timer
3,086 Posts
Don't feel bad guys....I've done it as well...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts