Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(First reply i will summarize if you don't want to read my book)
I have had more electrical/mechanical issues than I can stand with this truck. The day after I got the truck one of the fog lights fell off. Not a big deal just made a quick bracket and welded it on. I also noticed that the lock button on the passenger side isnt working but the unlock is but I haven't care about that too much in almost 4 years. A few months later there was a squeak in the door. Pull it apart and the bolt holding the seat belt winder came off. Another quick fix just ran a bigger self threading screw. Put the door panel back on and the fun begins. The door jamb switch is showing the door is always open. So I swap the switch from the other side and it still doesn't work. I pull the door panel off and check the wires and they are all but one cut like the door closed and pinched the wires. So I go to the wrecking yard and get a new harness and it all works. Then winter comes and the abs light cames on almost every time after it engages. Shut the truck off and it is fine until it engages again. Not a big deal the winters aren't horrible here. Then a few more months and the battery needs to be replaced but none of the auto parts stores carry it so it has to be ordered from 300+ miles away so I have to get a similar yet smaller battery and since then every light dims with the blinkers flashing but not a big deal. A year or 2 goes by with few problems excepts the lights dimming and intermittent abs light. Then I go to change the plugs and fuel filter. Goes seeming well until I drive it the next day and it has a really bad misfire. So I checked the plugs and fuel filter, seems fine so I clean the maf and throttle body and air filter and it misfires even worse for about a week then out of no where it just runs fine and has ever since. A few weeks ago I decide to replace rotors and pads. Went fine but now the abs is on all the time. I search and find it is common to mess them up when removing the hubs(would have been nice to know before but oh well). Then I drive the truck and notice some smoke coming from the wheel and the rotors are super hot. So a mechanic buddy suggests new calipers so I do that and everything is fine untill it snows again here and the abs light comes on and wont turn off when I restart the engine. So today I needed to replace the hid lamps. First I break every single metal clip holding the grille on. Get the lights replaced and put a different grille on for the time being. I go to take the blinker assemblies out of the old grille and into the new and break the tabs on those so those are now zip tied in place. After all that the blinker on the driver front isn't working but they still light up and I can't find the patience to figure that out today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Summary
1. Fog light fell off
2. Passenger lock switch not working
3. Squeaky seat belt
4. Pinched door harness
5. Intermittent abs light
6. Incorrect battery
7. Engine sputter after tune up
8. Abs sensors ruined with brake job
9. Sticking calipers
10. Breaking grille tabs
11. Broken blinker housing tabs
12. And finally blinker issues

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I have heard of lemons but....Damn !!! Don't understand the grille problems....I have had mine off so many times I just ask it to come off and it does...LOL Sorry for your tough luck on your truck ....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the original years ago and they were all intact which is why I put the original back on. I have no idea why but it seemed like all the tabs were really far in all of them were bending the metal out around the holes. It was a cheap aftermarket one so that was probably part of the problem

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had the ability to I would trade it in tomorrow but I owe too much due to refinancing to consolidate debt. I want a sierra but idk about gm at all now. I have been a chevy guy for a long time but I don't want an even more expensive truck just to have the same issues

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
It's bad luck man.

Some of those things could have been avoided, others fixed before they got worse. Some is just normal age. Others were caused by not being careful when working on the truck or doing a little research before jumping in to a job (like our brakes). Even calipers are a part with a lifespan just like a balljoint or tie rod end.

The pinched harness is really the only thing that everyone deals with at some point, unless they do their own brakes. Then they realize how fragile the reluctor ring is for the ABS sensor and wish they just paid to have it done.

It just sounds like a lot of things that could have been avoided with some TLC and patience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that my lack of knowledge contributed to some of the problems. But I feel most are design flaws. The wiring could be less fragile. The brakes could have been done a lot easier as well as the abs. It just seems like they wanted a new truck too quickly on the market and used inferior parts. I have never seen another vehicle with captured rotors like that before. Maybe that is just my lack of knowledge but to have a sensitive safety mechanism attatched to a part that has to be removed to change a simple rotor is just ridiculous to me. They seemed to have fixed it somewhat on the later models but it is still a horrible way to mount the brakes

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
It's bad luck man.

Some of those things could have been avoided, others fixed before they got worse. Some is just normal age. Others were caused by not being careful when working on the truck or doing a little research before jumping in to a job (like our brakes). Even calipers are a part with a lifespan just like a balljoint or tie rod end.

The pinched harness is really the only thing that everyone deals with at some point, unless they do their own brakes. Then they realize how fragile the reluctor ring is for the ABS sensor and wish they just paid to have it done.

It just sounds like a lot of things that could have been avoided with some TLC and patience.
What he said !!! ^^^^ :yup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
The brake design on these trucks is terrible, I'll give you that. The rest is kinda meh, I've seen vehicles with a lot worse problems than you have. At least you didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix a head issue, that cost me $1900, and I'm sure a few busted wires cost you less than that.

The Sierra doesn't have captured rotors so you're good there.

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
It's a 10 year old truck that you picked up used. I don't know the mileage, but I don't think it owes you anything.

Most of your expenses have come from doing things in a less-than-well-thought-out manner and you've replaced or treated things that aren't actually the problem. They aren't bad trucks, but the technology in them is nothing like their predecessors and they have a learning curve.

That's why this site exists - so you don't have to pay through the nose trying to find a problem someone else has already been able to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most of the stuff on my truck that has broke has been the small stuff ( door switch, tail gate latch ect..) but the other day the bracket that is welded to the door ,that holds the inner door handle,broke clean off the welds , never thought i would have to weld parts back on my truck, but oh well.
It just seems that GM over the years started cutting to many corners, too much plastic and poor designs.
Still I hear ya its a huge piss off when that kinda stuff happens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts