Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey everyone. Ive been building vehicles for around 13 years, and im in the process of building 1 right now, and for some reason, i have a bad itch to start bagging my 09 colorado ext cab..... i bought it brand new, and lowered it 3/4" well i always scraped the transmission xmember from the time i lowered it. ive decided to start picking up parts to bag it, i had a lot of shit to bag it still laying around from other projects.

Im going to do this in steps, first i want to bag the front. ill probably make cups for the front to bolt into place of the shock/strut and weld a plate on the lower arm for the lower bag mount. i have the plates coming next week for all of that. i have the pipe cut for the front cups, i also have manual paddle valves, im just going to run front and back. i already made a crossmember for the rear that holds my airtank right below the bedfloor. its also going to hold the compressor when i decide which one i want. im going to run behind and under the axle brackets to try to keep everything under the stock bedfloor. im setting it up for 22s, and i plan to do a stockfloor body drop just under the cab, and when i do that, ill z the front and i plan to make a new gas tank crossmember to raise the gas tank. i plan on notching the frame, with just enough to clear the 22s with maybe 1/2" spare. ill probably get the rear leafs de-arched until i have everything to build a 3 link. i also ordered upper arms though michiganmetalworks that are 3/8" longer.

a couple questions i have.
what the best way to remove the pinch weld on the cab? can just pound it under like the s10s? i hate to cut it off and weld it back up. ive done it before with other trucks and it was horrible...lol

and why the hell is the rear end axle tubes on these trucks such an odd size? i got the axle brackets laser cut to fit the axle, and id also like to convert to 5 lug....

i should just cheat and build a s10 front frame clip with new rails and connect to the stock backhalf. hrmmm...

and for the other project im building, its an 88 plymouth reliant. yes, a k car. it has a frame, its bagged/bodied with a corvette TPI SBC in it. a 49 ford shoebox dash, dakota digital gauges, setup for 18"s, but running 15" american racing hammers right now. ill post pics of the colorado when i get into it..

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Re: My 09 Colorado

That Reliant is wicked.......I love the Dare to be Different builds

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Been following this on S10 forum. Wasn't expecting to see it when I open this thread haha. Welcome!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yeah its definitely something different. been a lot of fun building it, but everytime i build something i go balls deep and jump in and try to do everything at once. thats why i plan to bag the colorado front first, then the rear, then the z, body drop, and 4 link

·
Registered
833 Posts

@zms2004 make sure you create a build thread so you and other members can keep up with your progress.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

i had some brackets cut, i have behind and under the axle brackets, all the circle plates ill need, i cut some pipe at work for a notch, and tubing for the lower cups to make a cup that bolts onto the lower control arm. I ordered the michigan metal works upper arms, i also ordered dominator 2600s for the rear, and i have the 2500 for the front. im going to try the 2500s first and see how that goes, but i want to set it up for 2600 in case i need to swap it out. i tore into the front last week to get all the measurements and shit i needed to lay frame on 22"s, and looked at what needed cut in the front to make clearance. im going to order spindles thru either max fish or MMW and use a blazer hub to get the 5 lug, and also going to send the rear axles and drums to moser to get the patterns redrilled to match the blazer hubs.

i have the upper cups made, and once i get everything measured and know it works with 22"S , ill post up pics and dimensions incase anyone else wants to build something similar. i think this weekend i might start making some cuts on the inner fenders and some other things...

ill get some pics this weekend when i start actually getting into it and start gutting it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i TIG'd up some parts today and yesterday. i welded up the lower cups for the lower control arms, ill have to cut a notch to clear the balljoint. i also welded up the upper cups, minus the circle plates, until i can put the bag in the front and get everything sized up. then ill weld the circle plates. i also TIGd the upper mounts for the rear air bags. i need to make gussets on the bag mounts, and itll be complete.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

today i welded on gussets to the rear upper mount. i also built a rear wishbone, since im running a 3 link. i also finished my crossmember that holds the air tank and compressors. its in primer, and will be painted tomorrow, along with upper bag mounts. once my front upper mounts are made, theyll be painted also.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i doubt anyone is following my thread, but it keeps me motivated. i also made all my tabs for the wishbone, and i am having bolt on axle brackets cut right now, should be here in a few days, ill post pics as soon as i get them if anyone is interested.
anyways, some pics:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Im still here! Maybe have the thread title changed to something with "bagged" in it. That'll get more attention.

·
Registered
607 Posts

LMAO, I would have love to be taken to school by mom back in the day with that reliant and not the POS (stock) she had.

That thing is f#cking awesome!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

my guy sent me the pics today of the bolt on brackets.

gonna finish welding the wishbone completely tomorrow and ill get some pics of it. after that, im going to start building lower link bars..

1 - 20 of 302 Posts